PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment

SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi all,

In April I was sent the forms to be reassessed for PIP which I returned immediately with up to date medical evidence (dated in April).

Yesterday I received a call from Capita asking me to provide new medical evidence as this was now ‘outdated’ and they would require new medical evidence to proceed with my claim. However, if they had acted on the evidence when it was sent to them or even within the time frame they are meant to process claims, this would be up to date evidence. I also advised them that nothing has changed since the evidence was provided to them but they are still requested new evidence.

From undertaking previous assessments, I was also under the impression that past evidence and such was taken into account so I’m not entirely sure why this evidence could be regarded as out of date.

If anyone else has had this or can offer me any advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    I have been looking at this situation relating to a Blue Badge application without automatic entitlement and it was the cause of my failure at the last and final review into my PIP entitlement before I told the DWP to stick their PIP system …...
    Yes they should consider older evidence if it is still relevant.
    The DWP make a point of saying that good evidence is no more than 2 years old.
    What in effect they are saying is that a lot can happen in two years and it is more than likely that your difficulties may well have disappeared.

They need confirmation that what was then is still now either from a consultant/GP but ideally from an OT from Social Services. Yes it could mean that you will have to gather evidence to support the older evidence at every review.

I tried to solve this by asking Social Services to do a 2 yearly assessment of my needs (which they have refused) and that my GP should do the same (which he objects to)
  • SMW83
    SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Yadnad said:
    I have been looking at this situation relating to a Blue Badge application without automatic entitlement and it was the cause of my failure at the last and final review into my PIP entitlement before I told the DWP to stick their PIP system …...
    Yes they should consider older evidence if it is still relevant.
    The DWP make a point of saying that good evidence is no more than 2 years old.
    What in effect they are saying is that a lot can happen in two years and it is more than likely that your difficulties may well have disappeared.

They need confirmation that what was then is still now either from a consultant/GP but ideally from an OT from Social Services. Yes it could mean that you will have to gather evidence to support the older evidence at every review.

I tried to solve this by asking Social Services to do a 2 yearly assessment of my needs (which they have refused) and that my GP should do the same (which he objects to)
    Thanks for your reply.

As stated, my most recent evidence was dated within the last 6 months and my last PIP assessment was less than 18 months ago where a large amount of medical evidence was provided to them. Therefore from what you are saying that evidence should be dated within the last two years, then they have a wealth of relavent evidence. Much of this evidence including the most recent states that my illnesses are not likely to be short term so again they are fully aware of that my situation is unlikely to change any time soon.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.