I'm looking for a driving instructor for a 17 year old boy with high functioning autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm looking for a driving instructor for a 17 year old boy with high functioning autism

Options
bev2410
bev2410 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in Transport and travel
I'm looking for a driving instructor for a 17 year old boy with high functioning autism living in Nottingham

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @bev2410   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and your question.

Please can I ask have you looked on line.  For any solutions to finding what is available in your area.

Just a suggestion.  There will be members of our community and team who might advise.

Hope that helps.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    You will need to search your area to see what disabled driving instructors are available.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found this information on the disability driving instructors website:

Up to 40 hours of driving lessons may be available from Motability for those who receive certain means tested benefits (Income Support, Income related Jobseekers Allowance, Pension Credit (guarantee credit), Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Income-related ESA or Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit) or those in full-time education or training aged up to 25 years, whose parents/guardians receive the means tested benefits. Full time education is defined as education in pursuit of a course, where a substantial period of each week is spent receiving tuition, engaging in practical work, receiving supervised study or taking examinations. Training is defined as an unpaid apprenticeship.

There is now no age limit for this scheme but you must be a Motability customer who currently has a car, mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on the scheme.

For further details please contact Motability on 0300 456 4566 to discuss or visit the website http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/financial-help/.

The Motability funded tuition is managed by BSM. 14 hours tuition is initially funded during which time the theory test must be passed, the grant for the final 26 hours tuition will only then be made. It is important therefore that study for the theory test is started as soon as possible, if it is not passed within the first 14 hours of tuition, funding will stop; tuition can continue but it will have to be self funded until the theory test is passed.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness