Had a letter from fraud and error dept of DWP - wife is in tears and thinks she'll go to prison — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had a letter from fraud and error dept of DWP - wife is in tears and thinks she'll go to prison

kodifan2016
kodifan2016 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My wife who is nearly 60 years old and been on DLA for 25+ years due to the severity of her arthritis (4 of) and numerous other ailments. Her DLA was for life seemingly but today a letter came from the fraud and error dept of DWP requesting her for an interview as there is doubt in her claim those many years ago.

we recon it’s a neighbour who is a **** stirrer has written to DWP saying she walks the dog once a days and tends to her garden.

they forget that she virtually collapses when she comes in and can /able to do those things as she’s on biological medication, Cimzia, before that Humaria and of course the Steroids.

she has never ever been to anything like this and has been in tears all day, she thinks she’s a fraudster and will go to prison, I’ve told her that these were good days but alas nobody sees her inside the house and to look at her(without looking at her hands) you would think she was ok.

i feel absolutely helpless for her, she’s done nothing wrong, can anyone advise her what to do next please?

many thanks

ross

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kodifan2016   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry what has happened. I am sure there will be members of our community who can advise.

Also members of our team. The situation with DLA and now this is being phased out to be PIP.

Understand the cause for alarm for the interview.

I do not know what to advise.

I wonder if it possible for you to speak to our helpline. Might be worth talking to a member of our team.

0808 800 3333.

You need the right information and advice.

Hope that helps.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kodifan2016
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, I hope your wife is doing ok.

As @thespiceman suggests, you can speak to one of our helpline staff on 0808 800 3333 

It may be good to gather evidence of your wife's impairment and how it affects her before your appointment, you can also speak to the CAB about your appointment and see if they have any advice for you. 

I know it is easy to say, but try to stay calm, it must be really frightening but if your wife has done nothing wrong then you just need to explain what you have said in your post.  Being disabled and claiming benefits doesnt mean you cant have a life, tending to the garden and walking the dog are normal activities that must bring her contentment and that is a good thing.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pennymortiboy
    pennymortiboy Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Terrible news,
    My advice would be to contact your local MP who will make an appointment and hopefully like mine will write a letter on House Of Commons paper backing your wifes story and information, get a copy too of your wife's medical history through your gp it'll have everything their including medication etc, I had to pay £10 because of how much there was
    Good luck 
    Penny 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    With PIP a person's disabilities only have to apply 50% of the time i.e. at least 4 days out of 7.  I would assume DLA is similar in practice.

Follow the advice people have given above and don't worry too much.  If your wife isn't very active more than 3 days out of 7 then she hasn't done anything wrong. DWP should know that arthritis is a fluctuating condition even if your interfering neighbour doesn't.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Can you be more specific about the forthcoming meeting with DWP?

Is it to be an interview under caution, by them?

To give you and your wife some reassurance about such fraud.

Fraud charges are reported about 200,000 times a year, on the"Fraud" hot line.

84% are dismissed at this stage, the remaining cases have "futher steps are taken", but the DWP do not report any outcomes, for "further steps"!

I would contact your local law centre for advice and to see if one of their Pro Bono solicitors can attend the interview with your wife.

If they can attend, your wife should inform the DWP, she will be legally represented at the appointment.

Let us know if you need any further information or assistance.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.