How do you appeal a PIP decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you appeal a PIP decision?

Marymoo26
Marymoo26 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son who was in receipt of getting dla because he has learning problems and needs help with cooking his meals and is not good at going out on his own, he cannot judge traffic and just steps out . I took him for a pip interview and a few weeks later was told he is not entitled to pip, because he has mobility, so they continued to take my carers allowence off me, I think this is disgusting, nothing has changed with Ben my son and he will always need help, but they don't care nothing about that, I have written a letter to ask for a reconsideration but they have totally ignored me.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Marymoo26 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what has happened. I do not know the answer and what to suggest.

There will be members of our community or a member of our team to advise.

We are a supportive community. Friendly, care and share.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Marymoo26
    Welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear what has happened, unfortunately I am unsure how to advise too however as @thespiceman said there will be a member of the community who will get in contact with you soon to help you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Marymoo26 and a very warm welcome to the community! Unfortunately PIP and DLA are completely different benefits and just because someone gets one it does not entitle them to the other. When did you put the request in for a reconsideration?

It may also be worth taking the PIP self- test on behalf of your son to see what points he could potentially receive. If you still believe that a MR is needed then here is some information about the process. A lot of community members have been through this so I hope they too will be able to offer support and guidance. I will also move your discussion to the PIP board.

If you have any other questions then please do not hesitate to be in touch! :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Only about 17% of MR decisions change. Your next step is to request the Tribunal and you have 28 days from the date of the MR decision to do this. You need to fill out the SSCS1 form and make sure you send the MR decision letter with the form, otherwise the Tribunal won't accept your request. If you didn't send evidence to support his claim then you will need to send this to the Tribunal and make sure it arrives at least 10 days before the hearing date. Tribunals in a lot of areas have huge backlogs, this means you could be waiting a year for a date. Your son appearing in person will give him the best chance of a decision going in his favour. This guide may help. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/apply-to-tribunal/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Marymoo26 said:
    My son who was in receipt of getting dla because he has learning problems and needs help with cooking his meals and is not good at going out on his own, he cannot judge traffic and just steps out . I took him for a pip interview and a few weeks later was told he is not entitled to pip, because he has mobility, so they continued to take my carers allowence off me, I think this is disgusting, nothing has changed with Ben my son and he will always need help, but they don't care nothing about that, I have written a letter to ask for a reconsideration but they have totally ignored me.
    Of course things have changed for your son. He was previously awarded DLA and now he is being assessed under the criteria of PIP.
    PIP was set up to reduce the amount of money that was previously being paid out under DLA. The savings were to be used to shore up the Universal Credit costs.
     DLA looked at what help he needed whilst PIP looks to see if the impact of his problems fits a one size fits all descriptor
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disabilty Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.