Why will my esa change now I've been awarded Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why will my esa change now I've been awarded Pip

Options
JustJan
JustJan Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I recently won my PIP tribunal and my advocate from the law centre told me my ESA should go up. I was in a bit of a state after the tribunal and was just relieved that it was over. Does anyone know why or how it will change? I live in a house with a house mate who is no connection to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is not related to ESA and will should not affect your other benefits, it may give you the opportunity to claim extra benefits use a benefit calculator to see if you can claim any extra benefits. Keep postin.
  • JustJan
    Options
    No I know it's not related but with the advocate telling me it will go up now I have been awarded pip,I looked online and it says about a disability premium on top of other benefits but I don't understand it. I was wondering if someone who has been awarded pip and is on esa could tell me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Great news on your Tribunal win! The premium you're talking about is the Severe disability premium (SDP) for this you need daily living PIP, no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone and also be claiming Income Related ESA.

As you live with a house mate, all i can say is once the DWP have paid you your backdated money for PIP, then ring ESA and ask to start a claim for SDP, they will look at your circumstances and decide if they can award it. If awarded, it can be backdated to the start of your PIP claim, if you were eligible at the time.  The form can be filled out over the phone, or ask them to send you the form IS10.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JustJan
    Options
    Right ok. Thank you for clearing that up for me. So I just need to wait and then apply for it once the pip is sorted.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's correct yes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.