Visually impaired and depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visually impaired and depression

Options
janice1976
janice1976 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I’ve been visually impaired for nearly a year, I get out and about using a cane, but I get so low as so many people just walk in front of me without seeing my disability and I get so embarrassed as I say in visually impaired and please be careful and give me some space to get around and then I get so many dirty looks and leaves me feeling like I should be stuck inside 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janice1976 and welcome to the community! I am so sorry that you feel this way. I too have only recently become visually impaired and use a long cane, I can definetly relate to what you are saying.

Have you thought of having counselling to discuss your visual impairment? I know RNIB offer sessions free of charge that can be online via instant messaging, phone call or Skype. It may also be worth seeing your GP. I hope you continue to use the community and we will support you the best we can. If you feel really low then please do reach out to Samaritans or Mind.

I hope you have a lovely day and please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reading your post reminds me of my first year of being visually impaired and how I felt. You shouldn't be stuck inside as you have the same right as everyone else. Over time I have realised there are four stages, Denial, Anger, Emotional and Acceptance. The first 3 can vary for each person but in the end we do accept what is wrong with us and make the best of what we can do :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    Aww bless you sweetie.  Some people are just plain ignorant.  Please try and ignore them xxx Here if you need an ear xxx
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Janice,

I have been visually impaired all my life and I can totally to this.

I didn't become fully aware of my imapirments until I was 18. When I found out, I hit rock bottom. I researched and asked all the questions, although the hardest part was accepting it. I did not start to come to terms with it until my early 30s. 

I still have my down days. You are not alone.
    CSno1
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @csno01, how are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness