Capita - Decision without face to face assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita - Decision without face to face assessment

Options
SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi,

Long and protracted issue so I’ll keep it short.

Basically, having spoken with Capita today with regards to the status of my claim, I have been told that I will not need a face to face assessment with them as a decision has been reached on my medical evidence alone.

Should I assume this means it has been decided in my favour? Or can they make a decision to refuse my claim without a face to face assessment?

TIA

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SMW83 said:
    Hi,

Basically, having spoken with Capita today with regards to the status of my claim, I have been told that I will not need a face to face assessment with them as a decision has been reached on my medical evidence alone.

Should I assume this means it has been decided in my favour? Or can they make a decision to refuse my claim without a face to face assessment?

TIA
    It can go both ways.
    The evidence clearly shows that you should get no award and the evidence shows that you clearly are entitled to an award.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SMW83, I guess it wouldn't be logical to refuse a claim without having a face to face. However, I would still wait for the letter. I have my fingers crossed for you!
    Scope

• SMW83
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    SMW83 said:
    Hi,

TIA
    It can go both ways.
    The evidence clearly shows that you should get no award and the evidence shows that you clearly are entitled to an award.
    Ok thanks. I’ve just been awarded ESA (support group) on evidence alone so I’m assuming that I wouldn’t have been awarded that if it was believed it wasn’t entitled to it.
  • SMW83
    Options
    Hi @SMW83, I guess it wouldn't be logical to refuse a claim without having a face to face. However, I would still wait for the letter. I have my fingers crossed for you!
    Thank you. That’s what I thought too. As I’ve just said to the previous reply, I’ve recently been awarded ESA (Support Group) no evidence alone so I’m assuming I wouldn’t have been awarded then if they didn’t believe I was entitled.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @SMW83

Simple solution, contact PIP helpline and ask for copy of paper based assessment report, that Capita has submitted to DWP.

Then you can score the points!

Keep us informed.
  • SMW83
    Options
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @SMW83

Simple solution, contact PIP helpline and ask for copy of paper based assessment report, that Capita has submitted to DWP.

Then you can score the points!

Keep us informed.
    They haven’t as yet sent the paperwork to the DWP as apparently the decision was only made earlier today. I’ll give it a week or so then I will contact the DWP!
  • Yadnad
    Options
    It depends if the evidence is strong enough to say that no award would be made.
  • SMW83
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    It depends if the evidence is strong enough to say that no award would be made.
    As I’ve said the ‘evidence’ was strong enough to be awarded ESA support group without an assessment  so it would be hard for them to argue a case that I was not entitled to any form of PIP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The health assessment providers don't make the decision on any claim, it's the DWP decision maker that does this. The health assessment providers are there to make a recommendation only. For PIP not having a face 2 face assessment means nothing unlike ESA. With ESA you can't be found fit for work without a face 2 face assessment. For PIP you can be refused without one, although it's rare.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SMW83
    Options
    Hi,

The health assessment providers don't make the decision on any claim, it's the DWP decision maker that does this. The health assessment providers are there to make a recommendation only. For PIP not having a face 2 face assessment means nothing unlike ESA. With ESA you can't be found fit for work without a face 2 face assessment. For PIP you can be refused without one, although it's rare.
    Yes, I would assume it would be unusual as if I was to take it to appeal court and they hadn’t conducted a face to face assessment, that would reflect poorly on the DWP.
  • SMW83
    Options
    Hi, just a bit of an update. I’ve been told by the DWP this morning that although Capita have reached a decision that my medical evidence is enough to warrant me not having a face to face assessment, it is dependent on a case managers decision if they believe said evidence is enough to award me PIP. If they decide it isn’t then it will be referred back to Capita for an assessment. This seems extremely nonsensical to me as surely it would have been easier just to assess me face to face than having to keep passing it back and forth between Capita and the DWP and prolonging the matter. I will obviously update you when I hear anything further.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    This reminds me of the story of council workers digging a hole in the road.
    None can agree where it should be dug!
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sounds like capita can't cope with the number of f2f's and are trying to do reports based on medical evidence, DWP on the other hand are questioning this practice and you are caught in the middle, hope you get it sorted. But as has been said capita don't decide they fill in their assessment and pass it to DWP decision maker.
  • cokeen43
    cokeen43 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    I got awarded esa supoort group and got a lot of backdated money then 4 months later my pip was taken off me as apparently i have nothing wrong with me, good luck
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The assessment providers don't make any decisions. They write reports with recommendations and a decision maker then makes a decision based on the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The assessment providers don't make any decisions. They write reports with recommendations and a decision maker then makes a decision based on the report.
    ….which as we all now know is likely to be what the assessor says. The DWP have been pulled over the coals for being too accepting of these assessment reports without making any real effort to look at all of the evidence - all done to save them time.

• sahara01
    sahara01 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    I didn't have an assessment for esa it was based on medical evidence alone however I had a home assessments for pip on Monday dwp received it on Wednesday have been informed the decision will take 6 weeks 
  • wizzwoz
    wizzwoz Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    SMW83 said:
    Hi, just a bit of an update. I’ve been told by the DWP this morning that although Capita have reached a decision that my medical evidence is enough to warrant me not having a face to face assessment, it is dependent on a case managers decision if they believe said evidence is enough to award me PIP. If they decide it isn’t then it will be referred back to Capita for an assessment. This seems extremely nonsensical to me as surely it would have been easier just to assess me face to face than having to keep passing it back and forth between Capita and the DWP and prolonging the matter. I will obviously update you when I hear anything further.
    SMW83 i read your blog
    If you are on the suport side of ESA thats strong enough evedence that you will receave a pip aword 
    You still may be asked for a ftf assessment people who are on suport side of ESA do not have a ftf with ESA and there is no benifit cap on that ither but make shure you get the dissibility premium on your ESA aswell
    Good luck x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    wizzwoz said:

SMW83 i read your blog
    If you are on the suport side of ESA thats strong enough evedence that you will receave a pip aword 

Sorry but this is not correct. PIP and ESA have different criteria and it totally depends on what points you scored in the PIP. A PIP award doesn't automatically mean you have limited capability for work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.