Loneliness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loneliness

Claire61
Claire61 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
How do you meet new people, I'm alone and I never go out so I don't meet anyone anymore and I'm becoming very lonely 

Comments

• bristolborn
    bristolborn Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Really wish I knew the answer, our son is in exactly the same situation. We have tried so many ways to help him to no avail. Even thought of penpals.
  • Claire61
    I have wracked my brains and I have had a few good ideas, however they all involve me walking into places that I don't know. on My own! Which is terrifying to me, i do try to get out and about on My scooter but i just end up feeling lonelier. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Claire61
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear that you are feeling lonely. Have you tried looking online for clubs in your local area that you might be interested in?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • bristolborn
    bristolborn Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    We have tried this for our son to no avail :'(
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Claire61 Sometimes people who are alone have a double barrier to cross, not just of their disabilities but of taking the steps to venture outside their comfort level again. As @Ami2301 says think about what your interests might be and have a look online for local events. There are other events which take place which you might come across on social media for example  there is a get together near me once a month for people who have encountered things like depression. 
    Even getting out sometimes just to shops or the library and speaking to people can lighten the day. 
  • welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Hi Claire.  Thought about getting a pet?  Sounds silly but they are a good source of comfort xx
  • Claire61
    Thanks for your replies , i agree about the double problems, i have worked so hard on my depression and mobility problems and I love  going to my local supermarket because I feel like ive really achieved something  and I like the friendliness of the people, my biggest problem is the amount of hours I have to fill, my condition fluctuates sometimes hour to hour so its difficult to commit to anything much. I must say that I'm incredibly positive 90% of the time and quite happy with my own company, im just aware of the loneliness and lack of friendship, life's hard sometimes but im still very lucky in many ways. 
  • Claire61
    Hi Welshbirdne, I have 2 chihuahuas and they are my reason for getting up every day. they fill my heart with joy and love. I wouldn't have got this far forward without them, 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Claire61, I have four cats that keep me going when I feel like giving up.

Do you walk your dogs outside, perhaps down a street or in a park? A dog can create an instant connection with another dog-lover.

I am in the same situation for many reasons. I am casting about trying to find a way to connect with a community.

Brightness