Care givers make me feel second-class and humiliated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Care givers make me feel second-class and humiliated

Options
cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Some of my care-givers want to take over everything for me. I have noticed that when I am with ordinary people I feel like a normal person. When with some care-givers, though, I feel second-class and often humiliated by their attitudes that I am capable of very little.

Anyone had this happen? I think that with the caregivers who view me as incapable, I come to feel more disabled.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you have a care plan which states what you need assistance with?

Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cracker, I am sorry to hear this! Like @Ami2301 has said, do you have a document that states what you need help with? The care-givers probably just want to make life a bit easier for you and don't understand how this is making you feel.
    Scope

• cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    There is supposed to be a yearly Care Plan. Mine is still in their files for 2017. I have to arrange a meeting with the head nurse to make another out.

I am documenting it.

They are supposed to make life easier, yes. Some of them do, some of them do not seem to care about the patient, just doing the minimum and getting their pay cheque.

Some are compassionate, some even surly.  have to work with the office to find a compatible aide. The pay very little: many of their aides are very young and only doing this job while they look for another that pays better. They are not given full-time work - the agency avoids paying health benefits that way.

This week, I have help only 3 days. My Car e Plan is supposed t o give mr 23 hour s each week. Lately, it has been as little as four. They simply do not have enough staff because they pay so little. Worse now because the college kids they had for the summer are back to school.

They are paid by the Federal and State governments. By l;aw, they are illegal.

Is this sort of thing found in Britain?

Brightness