PIP and overnight stay in hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and overnight stay in hospital

notanelephant
notanelephant Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone.

I recently received a tribunal decision in my favour but had no info on what was going to happen next. I called up PIP and the person on the phone informed me that payment services will need to ask me a few questions before they can send a payment out.

One of the questions they asked was if I had spent any time in hospital before or after my claim had stopped. I informed them that I had to spent one night in hospital after my PIP had stopped. I'm wondering if I should've said this and would like to ask you: Will this affect my claim, the decision at the tribunal or whether or not I'll have my claim backdated at all?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    One day is nothing to worry about, more than 7 and the DWP will try and reduce the amount of backpay they owe you. In between lodging my appeal and the actual day of hearing, I had the first epileptic fit ever in my 70 years of inhabiting this planet. I was in hospital for 2 days, much to the chagrin of the doctors, they eventually agreed to discharge me  I won my appeal  with the help of brilliant free legal support. 5 days later exactly the same question from a gnome in the bowls of DWP mansions. Not a problem, discounted. Asked why, not longer than 7 days. Good luck  
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Apologies, that should read BOWELS of DWP mansion. That's predictive text for you, similar to the DWP  always thinks it's right. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

The DWP only stops care component of PIP after 28 days in hospital.

You have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your evening.
  • atlas46
    Hi

Enjoy your evening.
  • atlas46
    Hi

Enjoy your evening.
  • atlas46
    Hi

Appology for repeat postings, had a local power cut.

I am sending myself to naughty steps!
  • notanelephant
    notanelephant Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hey everyone. Thanks for replying.

Very reassuring to know, thanks! Was worried for a bit there.

Take care!
  • hopeforall
    hopeforall Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Do they ask why you was in hospital?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    Do they ask why you was in hospital?

No. They only need to know if you've been in for more than 28 days, as advised on another thread.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hopeforall
    hopeforall Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    But this was given on another thread https://www.gov.uk/going-to-hospital-benefits and it says this in their letters. So if anyone has done this, I would like to know if they want to know reason for admission/stay.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    But this was given on another thread https://www.gov.uk/going-to-hospital-benefits and it says this in their letters. So if anyone has done this, I would like to know if they want to know reason for admission/stay.

Indeed it does but i've also known the Gov.uk to give very misleading and incorrect information. Infact, i've actually flagged a few websites from them in the past where the information was incorrect.

As you're allowed to be in hospital for 28 days without it affecting your PIP then there's nothing to report leading up to that. They do not need to know the reason for your stay.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.