Discrimination at work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination at work?

Lonestar
Lonestar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Work and employment
Hello, I used to work as a Customer Assistant at a well known High Street Store in August.  I was the only deaf employee there.  I was hoping to get relocated to the nearest store, even though I told the Line-manager, the Store Manager and BIG rep that due to my deafness  I will have difficult finding work.  They did not take my concerns seriously.  . It has been nearly a month and most of my former hearing colleagues have found work.   I have applied for 5 vacancies in local retail stores but I have not have much luck. It is frustrating when they don't emailed me back even though they state they will asap.  They Make excuses like my lack of availability even though the post was for 20 hours
 I am waiting to hearing about an possible interview but I am frustrated as the local Deaf Centre have been trying to contact the branch to sort out getting an BSL Interpreter.  I fear the Manager will bother interviewing me as he want to interview me asap but it taking over 2 weeks.
  Now I am feeling very depressed and my confidence has hit zero.  I had another job as a Tutor teaching BSL for 15 years  but the local college cut the course.  I love teaching but it is proving difficult to find work as there is not much opportunities in my area.  I really do not know what my options are now and what other areas of work I can applied for. I would appreciate some advice. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lonestar, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experiences- it must be so frustrating for you, especially when you're taking steps and being proactive about sorting things yourself. I've moved this post into our ask an employment advisor category, where hopefully somebody will be able to advise further, and please do keep us updated!
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Lonestar

A very warm welcome.

Sorry to hear of problems in the workplace.

From your post, it strikes me you enjoyed being a Tutor for BSL.

Have considered becoming a freelance Tutor?

By offering training to your local police and other public bodies.

It just seems that the deaf community has an asset in you and are missing out.

Why not speak to BDA, to see how they might assist you.

Best wishes
  • Lonestar
    Lonestar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    To Pippa and Atlas 46, 
    Thank you for your feedback.  I will take your comments and board.
    I had a lot of bad luck regarding getting work as a BSL Tutor.  First the college where I taught for 15 years closed the only BSL course but did not tell me that they  had allowed a private business to hire the campus to run their own courses. I think the College did not want to pay for a tutor themselves as they get their revenue from businesses and charities.  I only found out on the Internet and worse of all, the business is run by one of my former students. This business asked me if I would be interested in teaching for them and promised me a job which they passed on to someone.  So I felt very heartbroken and betrayed.  The local council advertised for Tutors for their well being courses but  when I approached them about me teaching Sign Language course they were not interested and I felt fobbed off by them.  I approached the Deaf Centre and they kept my name on file but I was never invited for Tutors posts even though they had hired a new one.  I don't think the CEO doesn't  want me working for her as all the jobs they advertised want someone that has a car. I can't drive as I am partially blind in my left eye.  I would like to be a freelance tutor but what is holding me back is my fear of rejection,  My home town is very small and there is a lot of competition with two deaf organisation competing each other for learners.
    Sorry to rant on. My other job in the shop kept me going but my real passion is teaching.  I have explored in teaching Online but I am not savvy with the interne.
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi @Lonestar

Welcome to the Online Community and thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your experience with your previous employer, sounds quite frustrating.

Good to hear that you have  a possible interview lined up, have you managed to sort out a BSL Interpreter for that? 

In terms of Interpreters, have you looked into Access to Work? AtW is a government grant scheme which supports disabled people to take up or remain in work and this also includes support for interviews. you  can apply as soon as you get an email or letter confirming an interview and they can arrange for a BSL interpreter for your interview. 

If you feel like you would benefit from some support with seeking new employment, Scope provide a free employment service called Support to work, which provides online support to disabled job seekers. If eligible for the service, you will be assigned to an employment advisor who will work with you to explore your employability skills and explore your areas of interest-be it customer services or teaching and come up with action plan on the best possible steps you would need to take in order to help you find a new role and this might include things such as helping you amend your CV, supported job search discussions, preparing for interviews and various employment related issues you might have. You can register or find out more about the service HERE

We look forward to hearing from you 

Hope that helps 
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness