Preparing for tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Preparing for tribunal

crooksti
crooksti Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I’ve got a tribunal case this week it’s an appeal for my son what is the best way to prepare for the questions they will ask. 

Comments

• janekim96P
    janekim96P Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Just be honest would be my advice good luck 
  • crooksti
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Look at the paperwork and make notes regarding your descriptors and why you think the original decision was wrong. If you can, get advice from cab or welfare rights. If you can, take someone with you. Make sure you let the tribunal know if you are taking someone with you. If you can’t travel on public transport contact the tribunal and they should arrange a taxi for you. Look up other posts on here about help with tribunal and you should get lots of good pointers. Try to get everything ready the day before so you don’t forget anything. Good luck. 
  • crooksti
    Thank you for the advice 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi crooksti,

It is really important to know the case - pick out the parts of the assessment provider's report and say what you don't agree with. Focus on the effects on your son's daily living and mobility activities from his health problems and not necessarily what the diagnosis is. Listen to the tribunal and make sure you are answering their questions and not going off on a tangent. Some people tell them everything except answering the question that was actually asked. Apart from the above and the other replies there's not a lot else you can do to prepare - the tribunal will only ask questions about the health issues, medication and treatment and then about the activities in the descriptors. You can only be honest and do your best, which you will. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disabilty Rights UK site publish a Handbook that gives a description of PIP appeal hearing procedure.  £18.50 from DR site or probably available in your local reference library.

The main thing to bear in mind is that tribunals are inquisitorial.  The panel probably will ask your son a lot of questions to find out what he can and can't do.  They might challenge your son and suggest he can do more.  He should not let the panel lead him into saying he can do more than he can - if he can't do something, he should insist he can't do it.

Good luck ?.
  • crooksti
    He as a speech impediment and he as requested I represent him will they let me speak for him they have sent me all the papers 
  • allybongo221
    allybongo221 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi the best advice i can give you is dont be nervous remember the criteria you have to be able to do something repeatedly safely to an acceptable standard if you cant then you should be awarded the points.  remember the panel will be independant of the dwp and are not on any side.i wish you the best of luck if you need to ask me anything thats on your mind please do im willing to help.
  • crooksti
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    crooksti said:
    He as a speech impediment and he as requested I represent him will they let me speak for him they have sent me all the papers 
    No, you won't be able to speak on his behalf during the hearing. The Tribunal will want him to tell them in his own words exactly how his conditions affect him. They may ask you at the end if there's anything you want to add but they don't always do this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.