ESA Evidence Private Landlord. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Evidence Private Landlord.

Options
Halim
Halim Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi all, 

When applying for ESA, what evidence do I need to send to support my claim in relation to rent etc. 
I rent from a private landlord and have a tenancy agreement. Would I need to send my tenancy agreement? If yes, do I also need to send my bank statement with evidence of rent going out?

Also, is my landlord contacted? If yes, do they provide the evidence if needed? Meaning I don't send anything. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    You need to check what's in your area first. If it's a full universal credit area then you won't be able to claim housing benefit, it will have to be Universal Credit. Check here. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate If it's UC then claims take at least 6 weeks for your first payment. How much you get will depend on circumstances.

For either one, you'll need you tenancy agreement. I don't know if they contact your landlord but if you're planning on claiming either of these then you will need to tell your landlord. Some mortgage lenders won't allow a person claiming benefits to rent the property.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Send in a copy of your rent and tenancy agreement but to be safe phone and ask if this is all that is neede and are copies ok and is there any other evidence neede.
  • Halim
    Options
    Thanks Poppy & Wilko. That's really helpful. I imagine my best bet is to call DWP and ask them what I need to send. I'm trying to get a little folder together with all my paperwork this evening so it's all in one place and easier when I make a claim. 
    And thank you re advice about contacting landlord to tell them about a claim- I didn't realise I needed to do this. 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If it's housing benefit you need to claim then you claim this from your local council and not DWP. ESA of course is DWP. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Halim
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. I'm only doing the ESA currently, but then HB seems to be the next difficulty to navigate. Initially when I looked at the ESA1 form, I thought a HB claim was automatically applied/initiated as it does ask question about it. Thanks for your advice. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It does ask yes but it's not automatically done. You have to ring your local council for a form.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.