ESA Contribution Based Second Condition. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Contribution Based Second Condition.

Options
Halim
Halim Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi all, 

I am new to all of this, and I am currently in the process of applying for ESA. 
I would like clarification/insight in to a few issues. 

Firstly, the contribution ESA.
I have contributed enough national insurance in the last two years to be able to qualify. But it is the second contribution condition that I'm finding tricky to understand...
  • Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
I'm unsure if I meet this condition. I received a pay off/ill health redundancy from work in Sep 2017, and paid almost £300 in NI in the mentioned tax year (2017/2018). I had been on long term sick prior to this date. With my last date of no SSP in January 2017. I have not claimed income support or any other benefits between September 2017 and now. Does this mean that I won't have received class 1 or 2 contributions for the last tax year (2017/18), despite paying a large lump sum of NI? And therefore not meet the second contribution condition. 

I think I am ultimately asking if I will have provided enough contribution in the 2017/18 tax year or will there be a gap in contributions? 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You'll need to check your NI contributions to see if there's any gaps. https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Halim
    Options
    Hi Poppy, 

Thank you. I used the calculator yesterday. I wanted to see the contribution for the year 2017/18, but is says it is not available at present. I can however see all the prior years. Prior to the tax year 17/18 I have 6 years continued NI. But my problem is that I may not meet the second contribution condition. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can apply, the least they can do is say no. You'll need a fit/sick note from your GP to be able to claim ESA. You also need to look what's in your area. If it's a full Universal credit area then it will be New style contributions based ESA that you'll need to claim. If not then it's the old ESA that you need to claim. Different phone number for each benefit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Halim
    Options
    Thank you. That is what I thought was just to apply, but I was just hoping to know if I was eligible before calling. So I knew what position I was in, and simply just to comprehend it all a little better for myself. It would be the old style ESA, when I checked yesterday online UC wasn't fully available in my area. 

Thank you. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do you live with a partner that works? If not, depending on household income/savings then you maybe entitled to income related, if you can't claim Contributions based.
  • Halim
    Options
    No I don't. But I do live in professionals shared accommodation, with communal space being shared between occupants. If I am still unsure about the second condition of the contribution based ESA, and may qualify for income related...do I apply for both at the same time? Or do I put one claim in, wait for decision then claim the other? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Tick both boxes Contributions based and income related. Living in shared accommodation won't affect a claim for means tested benefits.
  • Halim
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds like I should tick both boxes and let the DWP decide. In regards to other housemates, do I put them down on my form as non-dependents? Or not at all?  We all have a separate tenancy. But I don't want something to be undeclared that should have been declared.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Contributions based will automatically be paid first, even if you did qualify for income related.

No, you don't put your housemates down because they're just housemates and not non dependents. Their income won't affect any means tested benefits you can claim. They are totally separate.
  • Halim
    Options
    That all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying, it's really appreciated. 
  • Halim
    Options
    Hi Poppy, 
    I'm currently filling in the ESA1 form on the computer (where you can type in the text box). I am unable to tick both the income and contribution claim box. It seems to be an either/or thing. I'm just checking I am able to claim both at the same time? 
    If so, shall I just tick the both boxes in pen? 

Thanks in advance. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To claim ESA if you're not in  full Universal credit area then you claim by ringing ESA and not online. The online form is for Universal credit. To claim the old style ESA it's much quicker by phone.

Numbers are here and it's Contributory and income related you want, not New style contribution or Universal credit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.