Pip mobility points question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip mobility points question

David88
David88 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello all :) 

back in 2014 I moved from dla or incapacity to pip, I recently had a letter from pip saying something about a change in pip law and they’ve checked my award. Nothing has changed for me. However enclosed was a letter showing what points I was awarded back in 2014. I’m wondering about the mobility section, I was awarded 4 points for answer B. I have autism and don’t go out alone due to high anxiety and not being able to communicate vocally. I used to live in a care home before moving back with family and had support doing shopping, phone calls, anything outside or where I needed to communicate in real life. Would I be entitled to answer D, E or F points if I don’t go out alone anywhere without support? 

MOBILITY ACTIVITIES

1. Planning and following journeys.
a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided.  0 points.
b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  4 points.
c. Cannot plan the route of a journey.  8 points.
d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.  10 points.
e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  10 points.
f.  Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.  12 points.

If I am entitled what would be the best way of trying to get it? I was awarded back in 2014 so missed my appeal if there was one.

Many thanks for your time 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Hi,
    The descriptors for following and planning a journey didn't change originally until 2016, so no you won't be affected by the change. It's only awards after November 2016 that could be affected.

When you're due your review then you may qualify for the Enhanced mobility then, but of course there's no guarantee of that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • David88
    David88 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    That clears things up thank you :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.