ESA contribution's trying to gain Enhanced. Disability Payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA contribution's trying to gain Enhanced. Disability Payment

Denny35
Denny35 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I claimed ESA contributions in February 2018
ASSESSMENT 10th August 2018
In Support Group
Backdated payment to 15 May 2018 paid 30 August 2018

Pip Assessment 20 August 2018
Backdated PIP to 5 June 2018 for Enhanced both elements. paid 

ESA 3 claim received by DWP on 14th September for IR top up of Enhanced Disability Premium
Phone call to say I needed to claim UC to gain top up.
Area went UC live July 2018. 
If I was entitled to top up from 14th Weeks ..15 May 2018. then area not live.
Would UC backdate to 15th May?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Denny35

Good Afternoon & it’s Great to meet you.

We have got lots of info & advice here on our site.

There’s a number of “Benefit Advisors” which I would say are best placed in helping you further.

I will forward your post onto them straightaway if that is ok????

They help us from Mon 2 Fri so they might take some time to get back to you.

Please please let me know if you need further help/assistance???

We do have other ways of help which I would be more than happy in helping you further????

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me with this post???

Many Thanks.
  • jane1973
    jane1973 Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Welcome @Denny35 how are you today?
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Denny35
    HI. 
    I'm nearly fine ...lol

• Denny35
    I am trying to claim EDP from May 2018 but told to claim UC. 
    Now on my 4th hour of phone calls and form filling online . On hold now for 35 minutes to UC.
    4 Call to ESA
    5 calls UC
    UC claim completed
    Post Office Verify

Appointment made with my work coach

I'm on ESA contributions in Support group
    Enhanced Living and Mobility Pip.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    This is not the correct thing to do because the premiums aren't paid on Universal credit. What you should have done is ask for a supersession and this is the only way you'll be able to claim the Income related top up. By claiming UC then any other means tested benefits you claim will transfer to UC... housing benefit, tax credits etc. Has your claim for UC been successful or have you only just applied? If you've only just applied then you maybe able to cancel the claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Queen1968
    Queen1968 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi, from this April I’ve moved to ESA support group because of my medical condition. Applied severe disability premium but it was refused in July because my ex husband is still using part of the property. But last week when I called ESA the gentleman said even though I’m wont be eligible for SDP, since now I’ve been moved to support group I’ll be eligible for enhanced disability premium and took all the details. And told me I will know by 3 weeks. Is the information correct? If it’s right, will the payment be backdated? Please let me know. Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Queen1968 said:
    Hi, from this April I’ve moved to ESA support group because of my medical condition. Applied severe disability premium but it was refused in July because my ex husband is still using part of the property. But last week when I called ESA the gentleman said even though I’m wont be eligible for SDP, since now I’ve been moved to support group I’ll be eligible for enhanced disability premium and took all the details. And told me I will know by 3 weeks. Is the information correct? If it’s right, will the payment be backdated? Please let me know. Thank you 

I notice in a previous thread that you receive a pension of £130 per month, thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/739288#Comment_739288 and they also deduct £30/week from your ESA. This means that it must be Income Related ESA you're claiming, not contributions based. As advised in that thread it's only contributions based ESA that allows a pension of up to £85/week.

As you're in the Support Group the Enhanced disability Premium should already be included in the calculation but it's known as Disability Income Guarantee in the calculations. (£19.55/week) 

As you receive a pension of £130/month then the £30/week deduction in your ESA means that your total ESA weekly amount is less than it would be if you weren't receiving the pension.

For this reason you won't see any increase in your ESA. Please have a look for your most recent ESA breakdown letter, if you were sent one since you moved to the Support Group and it will tell you everything that's included.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.