ESA backpayments. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backpayments.

Options
eddowden
eddowden Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi everyone,i phoned up DWP this morning to enquire about the money i'm owed,the lady told me that i will be getting a payment in my account on Thursday which is my pay day,she told me the amount i will be getting & it's not as much as what i thought,my question is do they pay the whole amount i'm owed or is it done in stages?,thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    They pay the whole amount and not a stages.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • eddowden
    Options
  • eddowden
    Options
    I'm owed EDP from 2011 but the amount she told me i'm getting is no where the amount im owed which has peed me off a bit.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    EDP this year is £16.40 per week, less in previous years. If you think it's wrong then ring ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • eddowden
    Options
    I'm gonna wait until i get the letter from them,hopefully it may say that i will be getting another lump sum in the near future.
  • Denny35
    Denny35 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    I was informed that they only backpack 1 month. I am trying to claim EDP from May 2018 but told to claim UC. 
    Now on my 4th hour of phone calls and form filling online . On hold now for 35 minutes to UC.
    4 Call to ESA
    5 calls UC
    UC claim completed
    Post Office Verify

Appointment made with my work coach

I'm on ESA contributions in Support group
    Enhanced Living and Mobility Pip.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,
    This is not the correct thing to do because the premiums aren't paid on Universal credit. What you should have done is ask for a supersession and this is the only way you'll be able to claim the Income related top up. By claiming UC then any other means tested benefits you claim will transfer to UC... housing benefit, tax credits etc. Has your claim for UC been successful or have you only just applied? If you've only just applied then you maybe able to cancel the claim.

See this link on how to ask for a supersession. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/changing-a-benefit-decision-by-revision-and-supersession/changing-a-dwp-benefit-decision-by-supersession/
  • eddowden
    Options
    I just had a letter from DWP & they're only paying me from 2014 & not 2011,i can't understand why they haven't paid me from 2011.
  • Denny35
    Denny35 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hope.  just thinking they ate making ules up ad they go along. 4 hours in and still none the wiser. 
    will appeal esa3 decision from May to August then claim 1 month backdated UC..

I can't wait!! lol

• poppy123456
    Options
    Denny35 said:
    Hope.  just thinking they ate making ules up ad they go along. 4 hours in and still none the wiser. 
    will appeal esa3 decision from May to August then claim 1 month backdated UC..

I can't wait!! lol

They're not making the rule up as they go along. By claiming UC you still won't be paid the EDP premium because no premiums are paid on UC. Claiming UC could possibly be the worst thing you can do. The only way you'll get the EDP premium is by asking for a supersession.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    eddowden said:
    I just had a letter from DWP & they're only paying me from 2014 & not 2011,i can't understand why they haven't paid me from 2011.
    This is most likely because originally DWP stated that they would only pay this money backdated to 2014. They changed this to 2011 not long ago. Give them a ring and tell them that you want it backdated to 2011. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.