Changes in my shift pattern — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes in my shift pattern

Options
eddllanfaes
eddllanfaes Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Yo hi I've been told by work my 30 hours contract which was spread over 4 days will now have to be over 5 days to fall in line with the rest of employees working for the company.   However I don't want to do this as when I did 5 days before I drank a lot and I'm concerned that I will drink again.  I am nearly 5 years sober with epilepsy and taking between 12 to 18 tablets a day and I'm knackered now so doing an extra day will leave me struggling to get to AA meetings and other support groups which I need to attend for my recovery please advise thanks edd

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @eddllanfaes, thanks for sharing this with us. Have you discussed your concerns with your employer?
  • eddllanfaes
    Options
    Yo hi it was discussed a couple of months ago which i presumed was the end of it.  I am recovering alcoholic with epilepsy work forced me to get dry and i have emphasized on a number of occasions what the success rates when dealing with alcoholism which is less than 3% I also had a seizure in work and the medication leaves us extremely tired.  I have discussed with my doctor that I do take a lot of medication for my age unfortunately it's all necessary I take 4 tablets a day for depression which they also aware.  I have tried changing my diet moving closer to meetings and going out a lot less which when u r a alcoholic in recovery is a risk so please advise thanks edd 
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @eddllanfaes

Many Thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear about the potential change in working days, especially after you have expressed your concerns about how this would have a detrimental impact on your health and the progress you have made with your sobriety. 

If you disagree with the proposed changes, you can get in contact with your local Citizens Advisor. Your local Citizens Advice can help you negotiate with your employer. If you are a member of a trade union, you can also contact you representative for assistance. You can find out more about about actions to take if you don't agree with changes to your contracted working days/ hours HERE 

Alternatively you can also get in contact with ACAS, who provide information and advice to employees as well as employers to help prevent or resolve workplace problems.

Let us know how you get on 

Hope that helps 

Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • eddllanfaes
    Options
    Thank you for your support and help its been great and clear and easy to understand so a big thank you edd

Brightness