Bad mood with pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad mood with pain

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering

I have noticed recently that when my pain escalates, I can get very irritable and short-tempered. I try just not to interact much with others when I am like this. I think my frustration and constant pain wear me down - but I cannount account for the bad mood.

I wonder if this a shared experience and how I might handle better.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cracker sorry what has happened you are not alone in your thoughts.

Pain and mood are related and of course there is the medication that helps but it is never enough.

I am most days have been there and now try to do what I can. Understand if in pain there is not a lot you can do.

To reassure you I do use relaxation techniques,, deep breathing and have some days make it simple for easy living.

Music on Classic FM have simple things to put together eating wise and try to plod on.

Stress for myself is a constant frustration and anxiety but stress is the main one, being on here helps.

Always say to myself need to just try and cope best I can.

Always here to listen anytime.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • dougal1
    dougal1 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi cracker
    I am the same,wake up in morning hurting not wanting to speak to anyone ,it's always the day when lots of people want to talk, trying to explain to a three year old who wants to see grandad is impossible. 
    Despite telling family and friends some days are not good, we still get called grumpy, like spiceman l try to get half hour to myself layback and listen to music ,
    Regards
    Doug 
  • chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @cracker.
    @thespiceman and @dougal1 have mentioned some good techniques and ways to help with the pain.

Mindfulness, relaxation, deep breathing all work, making time for yourself with no distractions is very important.
    Don't become a hermit, on the good days get out and visit people or do the things that you need to do.

And it's vital to pace things don't try doing everything on a "good day".
    Too many newcomers to chronic pain don't pace, they just do everything that they can when the pain is low, then wonder why for days after, the pain is the worst of their lives.
    High's and Low's don't work, try find a level that fits with your circumstances, remember it's your pain, so look after YOU first, those who care or know you, will understand.       

Being angry or grumpy at others will only drive people away and it's these people you need the most.

Nobody understands your pain, not your GP, not family, friends or the next door neighbours.
    Explaining it constantly to people will make people avoid you, big time.

Hope you get sorted.

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I just tell people I’m grumpy coz of my pain or tiredness and say I’m sorry in advance if I cause offense lol
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cracker, thank you for sharing this with us all. Being agitated when in pain is completely normal. I hope your pain stays lower!
    Scope

• dougal1
    dougal1 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Guilty as charged, l tried to carry on as normal, old school l suppose. Trouble is l was doing it to show other people I'm as strong and active as I used to be,my son has learning disabilities and I kept up pretence for a few years because l felt l was letting him and other's down, self denial in a way perhaps. 
    Hey paying the price now, 
    I hope you get sorted my friend take care
    Doug 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I do not show my irritation and bad mood. I am pretty good at putting on the good face for others' sakes and for health of my relationships. I do not get angry with anyone. 

Brightness