Statement of reason — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Statement of reason

dion
dion Community member Posts: 31 Listener
Hi I had appeal over four weeks ago and if u read my past post explaining that I was told 2 weeks ago by the dwp that thay were challanging the tribunals decision. Anyway called tribural yesterday and was told that dwp haven't requested q statement of reasons as yet so what are the chances there gonna ask for a statement of reasons now? It's making me sick now with worry. I won appeal after waiting a year and now there putting me though this ****. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    They have 28 days to request the statement of reasons. Backpay can take 6-8 weeks. You can ring them on Monday morning when they're open to see what's happening, other than that there's really nothing more you can do but wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dion
    Thanks poppy I just don't no we're I stand right now with my benefits and just wanna np what's going on thanks again though xx
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi dion,

The DWP have one month from the date of the decision to request a statement of reasons. It is possible to request a late statement but normally it is refused, so if it's been over a month and the tribunal service haven't heard from the DWP you should comfort yourself with the fact that they won't do so. As Poppy says, it can take 6-8 weeks for them to implement the tribunal's decision and it sounds to me as though they will do.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• dion
    Thanks for your reply it's getting me down now I'm a diabetic and can't even afford to eat proper food that I should be also trying to address addiction problems and depression for witch I'm on meds for. Why are thay doing this s--t to people who really do deserve it when there are people milking the system and thay don't get called up I no of two myself and it really does give me the hump but what can I do, I'm not the sort of person to grass someone up but dwp should do more to find out about people of u get what I mean? Hope your having a nice Sunday morning it's raining here in london☹☹☹
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dion and I am really sorry to hear this! How are you doing today?
    Scope

• dion
    Thanks for asking chloe I'm gonna go check my post office account bruise it's been a month today since I won appeal of it's not there I will have to called them. I called tribural Friday and thay not heard from dwp yet so please God it's a good day. Hope the mornings going good so far for u xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes thank you @dion :) Hope the rest of the day is kind to you as well!
    Scope

• dion
    Still no joy gonna have to get on phone and put on hold for an hour to esa ???
  • poppy123456
    It can take 6-8 weeks to receive and back dated payments. Which group did the Tribunal place you into and when did you claim ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dion
    I been claming for years and this is my 3rd appeal each time I've won but this time there going to chalange it. That's past me regulation 29 and 35 I think so been put in support group. 
  • dion
    Sorry I misspelled thay past me on regulation 29 and 35 I think lol
  • welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Go to your local MP and escalate.  DWP then listen
  • dion
    Yeah your right welshbirdne it's making me sick now keep woerinf are the balifs gonna come knocking I can't carry on like this no more there taking the p_as outta people that really need that to survive. I won appeal on the 24th August a month today and never waited this long for back pay. Please God some good news soon
  • poppy123456
    dion said:
    I been claming for years and this is my 3rd appeal each time I've won but this time there going to chalange it.
    Asking for the statement of reasons doesn't mean they're appealing the decision. They have to asked for this before they can appeal because from the SOR they have to find an error in law. They have 28 days to request the SOR.
  • dion
    And I called tribural Friday and thay hadn't heard nothing as of then 
  • dion
    Just a quick up date and hopefully someone can advice me what to do next. I called dwp yesterday and was told thay are defently chalangeing my tribunaral win but could not tell me on what grounds and no time scale so what can I do now any help is much appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    They cna't do this without first asking for the statement of reasons, have they asked the Tribunal for this?
  • dion
    N9 poppy thay hadn't on Friday anyway
  • poppy123456
    They have 28 days to request this but as i said, they can't appeal the decision without the statement of reasons first and when they do receive it they have to find an error in law. Unfortunately, there's nothing more you can do but wait. I know it's stressful.
  • dion
    Ok thanks poppy123456 I will keep u updated if anything changes thanks for your help much appreciated 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.