Combined ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Combined ESA

Options
Halim
Halim Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi all, 

If I have been assessed as meeting the contribution ESA, with income ESA  top up...and my situation changes, for example I am working, do I get put back on to the contribution ESA automatically? Or do I make a new claim? 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you're claiming Contributions based ESA you'll only have an Income related top up on assessment rate if you claim a disability benefit such as Mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP.

If you plan on working 16 or more hours per week your ESA will stop, if you find out that work isn't good for you then you used to be able to do a rapid reclaim if your ESA ended within 12 weeks. However, if your area is a full Universal credit area by this time them a rapid reclaim wouldn't be possible.

You can do permitted work with ESA providing it's less than 15.59 hours per week and earn no more than £125.50 per week without it affecting your ESA if you're already claiming it. You do need to get permission from DWP before doing permitted work. However permitted work can go against you if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Halim
    Options
    Hi, 

I receive daily living PIP. So I would potentially receive the extra £16 or £64. I still haven't got the the hang of that yet, if I'm entirely honest. And if I wasn't in receipt of that, the assessment rate would be the standard £73? 

I am awaiting surgery, so I'm hoping that some activities may be easier post op/recovery. Thus I am hoping to go back to work at some point, and that is the goal. But wanted to check for whatever reason if I did go back to work too soon, would I lose my entitlements?
    From what I understand from what you said, is that I could lose out if I had a change or circumstances. Is this because I would be making a new claim? Or would this simply mean losing my income top up, or would it mean I would lose money because the system has switched to universal credit? 

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well- sorry. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    To receive the enhanced disability premium you need to be claim enhanced daily living PIP, otherwise it's paid in the Support Group only for those on income related or those that claim CB with the top up.

Severe disability premium ... daily living PIP award, no one must receive carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone.

Look at my post above about the hours you wish to work. If it's more than 16 hours your ESA claim will stop. If working is too hard for you after your ESA stopping then a rapid reclaim will depend on what's in your area at the time. If it's a full UC area then you won't be able to make a rapid reclaim and you'll have to claim UC. No premiums are paid on UC.
     If you're entitled to Contributions based ESA at that time and your area is a full UC area then you can claim New style contributions based ESA and UC if you need housing benefit. It's very complicated to be honest.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Halim
    Options
    Thanks so much again Poppy, you've been really patient and clear. 
    The last paragraph of your post, makes me believe I've almost got the idea now. The rules seem to be better/beneficial towards UC if you are able to work somewhat. 
    I honestly never realised how complicated the whole process of claiming support was before. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Some people are better off on UC but it doesn't always work that way. If you're claiming the disability premiums on ESA you certainly won't be better off on UC.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.