Will a loan affect my income based employment Support allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will a loan affect my income based employment Support allowance?

RSISolutions
RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
I am in receipt of income based employment Support allowance and I don't have to pay council tax because of my low income and lack of savings. My savings are less than £6000. If I receive a loan secured on the equity in my house will this affect my benefits?

1. If it takes me over the £6000 limit
2. If I'm still under the £6000 limit

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    The principle is that savings above £6000 affect means tested benefits like income related ESA. But the rules can be complicated and it may be that there are other issues to consider here. How much do you expect to receive and what will you do with the money?
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• RSISolutions
    RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
    edited September 2018
    Hi David. Loan will be paid in monthly Installments to the same value as my monthly mortgage payments and will be used to pay my mortgage. The total value of the loan is below £6000. No need to pay the loan back until I sell the house and the equity is released. My capital will remain under 6k during the period. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Under £6,000 doesn't affect means tested benefits providing the loan doesn't take your savings over £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.