Upcoming DWP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Upcoming DWP assessment

Options
cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
edited September 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi everyone hope you’re doing well, i know I’ve been off line for a while but i could do with a little word of advice. Unfortunately it’s that time of the year and I’ve got a DWP accent coming up soon and I’m really worried about it. Not knowing how things are with the DWP at the moment so i could do with advice on how to go about it. My anxiety is on the high and i don’t really want to go through with it so please help. NC

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Accent? Do you mean you have a face 2 face assessment soon? Is this a work capability assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cripps
    Options
    Hi there, yes i have a face 2 face assessment with the DWP for a work capability, I’m not sure if i can go through with it because I’m not well and going to this on my own will send my anxiety through the roof. Any help will be good. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi @cripps, so sorry to hear you're feeling particularly anxious at the moment.

On a practical level, Citizens Advice have some great advice on WCA assessments and how to prepare, so you can make sure you're as prepared as possible when the time comes. Otherwise, do keep talking to us and we'll do our best to support you. I'm sure many others here on the community will be able to relate to how you're feeling and will hopefully be able to offer some advice. At the very least, know that you're not alone and we'll be here to support you, regardless of the outcome.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. These assessments are worrying and stressful yes, i do understand that. Have you contacted your GP for the letter to request the home assessment? When is the assessment? Do you have someone that can go with you, a friend or family member maybe? They won't be able to answer the questions for you but having someone there can often help with anxiety by just being there.

Unfortunately if you don't attend then your money will stop. If you haven't contacted your GP for the letter then i'd advise you to do this as soon as possible. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cripps
    Options
    Hello ?, thank you for replying I’m going to my GP next week to see if he can help because i don’t have anyone to go with me so it’s going to be a nightmare, like you say I’ll have to go but they don’t make it easy. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @cripps - hope it goes well with your GP.
    Unfortunately Poppy is 100% right and you really do need to attend.
    You're right, they don't make it easy. Hope you got some good tips from the Citizens Advice site.
    Regards,
    Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• cripps
    Options
    Thanks Mary, i do hope it works out but i just don’t trust the DWP because you never know what they’re thinking or what they’re going to do next, when i go to this assessment it’s going to be in the morning and the morning is the worst time for me because of my medication, it’s going to be hard enough getting out of bed never mind anything else. I’ll let you know how things are going. NC
  • julierose
    julierose Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    i too have just had to fill out forms for ESA..i am on support one however recently i was also asked to do the PIP again  .last time i did was just under 2 yrs ago the whole thing sent me down a very dark path due to my mental healthbeing unstable .i was on suicide watch ,I was too scared to go back down that road so i did not reapply ..i know i will also lose the support group and the money so in all i lose almost £800 a month .I will send the form for ESA but i dont trust them ..I am really fighting hard not to go on a downward spiral but its hard to control...I fell pretty worthless  most the time and they sure have a great way of really hammering that in 
  • cripps
    Options
    Thanks for posting, i totally understand how you are feeling because at the moment i feel Excactly the same. Since they have sent me the form I’ve done nothing but worry my head is full of giving it all up and hiding, i know this isn’t the answer and i don’t want them to win but nothing i can do can get the thought ( suicide) out of my brain so i got up one day and headed for the C.A.B  with my form and all the evidence i could find, after a pain staking 3 hours the form was filled and posted. I hate the DWP but i hate loosing more so please get some help and don’t give them the pleasure. I’m still not right because I’m waiting for the outcome but the first bit is done and i don’t know what I’ll even do if i loose but that’s a different page. Take care. N C

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.