Want to get back to work and stay independent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to get back to work and stay independent

Zalia
Zalia Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2018 in Work and employment

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Zalia
    Welfome to the community! Would you mind telling us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Zalia
    What is there to tell,I have been out of work due to chronic pain,I have been told I suffer from sjorgens syndrome,lupus,and fibromyalgia amongst other little niggly bits,I want to get back into work,I’m jus looking around to see how people cope,I’ve signed up with various sites to help me understand what’s happening to my body,half of the time I don’t know how I get from  to A2B,also I have a face to face assessment for pip coming up,stressing they goin to stop what little help I do get from them,heads all over,waiting for services to get back in touch to see what help they can offer me to stay independent at home. 
  • Ami2301
    Sorry to hear you're going through a stressful time. I can reassure you that you're not alone as many members of the community suffer with the same conditions as yourself and I am sure they will be more than happy to get in touch with you to offer support and tips on ways to cope. We can help you prepare for your assessment :) 
  • Zalia
    That would be a great help,could someone come with me,I am waiting for home help through the council,was told she would be in touch with me this week the latest,if that’s in place then she can come with me,if not could someone from scope come with me. The last time I did it it was a very long wait and it took them nearly a year and a half to finally get me to a tribunal,I only jus managed to get the basic rate,they saw how much pain I was in barely able to walk my gf was helping and a walking stick,but still refused mobility,I have worked up until 2015-2016,been on disability since then, do want to work in the future just never seem to be well enough to get to the interviews. 
  • Ami2301
    Do you have a friend or family member that could go with you? Unfortunately no however we will help you prepare as much as possible :)
  • Zalia
    I will discuss it with family when the appointment comes through 
  • Zalia
  • Ami2301
    You're welcome :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Zalia Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for your post.

Wanted to say wish the best and success in your assessment. Unfortunately SCOPE can not be there to support you. Understand the best thing to have is a family member or friend.

Who knows you best. Read on the forum. Talk about PIP lots of advice, information and support from members.

If you are looking for support have a look on line. Often there are solutions on the web to some of your conditions.  Societies and associations deal with your conditions. Specifically.

Understand it is sitting with a notepad bit of paper, pens . Do searches and make notes. Spend a bit of time each day.  Even this forum has a wealth of knowledge and information.

We can support you anytime you wish.  Plenty of members who are like you.

We as community always be here to ask anything you wish to know.

Take care pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Zalia
    Hi spiceman thank you for the information and for responding,I know i have been thinking off keeping a diary,when Write things most times I end up crying,jus seeing reading and writing how I feel how overpowered by this pain, anxiety, fear, I am a very strong minded person, so I don’t know if I do too much or the fact that I jus carry on in pain I’m very rare pain free,gettin to appointments is now gettin to be a battle,family are all busy working,coz of my needs I moved houses so really isolated here. Il look into  the info above thank you once again,sorry for goin on lol 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Zalia Thanks for reply. First thing you are not going on. Second there are lots of the community who have walked a mile in your shoes.

All you need is help and guidance.  We understand. Having any of the conditions you have is never easy to deal with . Trust me I am one of the community champions on the forum. Always have time and energy and most of a listening ear anytime.

I have mental health and disability plus pain myself. It is how you deal with everything.

Most days use this. Understand and be on here. Try to talk how you are. Have a look around find on the forum some one you can relate to always helps

If you can not am here all the time.

Using what methods, strategies is how to cope daily.  That is what mental health charities can offer. Go on line and self refer.  Speak to your GP.

Also may I suggest do a diary . I know it is painful to see all the health issues and problems.

Add to that I am sure all the community feel the same about their medical history. Mine  more like a novel. 

Consider speaking to CAB  for addition support and anything they can suggest.

I understand about the family.

One important thing you need to say to you self I can do. I can do this. I can make myself a meal to day . Do small tasks and jobs. More you achieve your self if and when asking for help from charities they will be more forthcoming. 

Always my friend small steps. Use the diary for noting down appointments ready to prepare yourself. Be good to yourself.

Make a pleasant simple meal. Always helps. Do something relaxing have right now Classic FM on all day. Have a declutter doing that later.

Have a coping box. Your favourite music, poems, recipes or bakes. All in one place . Make it simple for yourself.  Anything you like to help coping.

Remember you are not alone. I am still learning about me and I have been like this from birth with disability. Mental heath teens.  Addiction history later on.

You have made one important decision to join here.

Hope that helps.

Always in prayers and thoughts

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Zalia
    Thank you so much I will and am doin most things,have asked the go to refer me to pain clinic,the last doctor well she said she was some kind of a nurse sat in for the doctor,she basically said she has no patience for pain and I’ve been referred to pain clinic and wait and see what happens,if I wasn’t a fighter I would be bed ridden by now,and I feel like I’m running out off fight,I managed to well make  myself some toast and coffee,now having to order lunch as ankles are killing wrists fingers legs,yet other days I can do these little meals and I have to save that oomph to pick my son up from school.i want to see the doctors I’m scared I’m goin to fall on my own,split up with my partner family too far really also working their own life and kids I feel so isolated at times I guess that’s life you jus get on with it. Thank you 

Brightness