What happens to my esa when i reach pension age? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens to my esa when i reach pension age?

Wonderer
Wonderer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
What happens to my esa when i reach pension age

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wonderer
    Welcome to the community! Have you spoke to Citizens Advice? I know if you were receiving PIP before State Pension Age then you would continue to receive it but ESA I am unsure. Once you reach State Pension Age you might be able to claim Attendence Allowance :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jane1973
    jane1973 Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Hello @Wonderer nice to meet you
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

ESA is a working age benefit so this will stop and you'll receive your state pension.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MHIveson
    MHIveson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I spoke to the DHSS only yesterday . Your ESA will stop and convert to your State Old Age pension. DLA will be unaffected . Not sure about enhanced disability premium ( I get that too ) I, m a sprightly 64 so trying to find out everything. 
  • poppy123456
    As you're still claiming DLA then you'll soon be asked to apply for PIP because DLA no longer exists. As you would have been under 65 on 8th April 2013 then you will be asked to apply.

Claiming the SDP is still possible yes and is payable on top of pension credit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tom5402
    Tom5402 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    i am 65 in February 2019 will my ESA stop and will I go onto state pension
  • poppy123456
    You need to look on gov.uk to see what it says about your specific age for state pension because everyone is different, i believe. You can check all of your personal details here. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

If you don't have an account you'll be able to make one and it will tell you everything you need to know about yourself.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.