Confusion — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confusion

maggiereckless1
maggiereckless1 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
hi guys I’m really confused I went job centre today and was told I have to go on universal credit because of my low esa and my partners wages I get £66.10 a fortnight and he gets £650 a month and they said when I go on it it will get paid fortnightly I’m confused as to what we will be getting if his wages get reduced the job centre won’t explain it to me they only thing they said because I’m a vulnerable person it will get paid fortnightly instead of monthly 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maggiereckless1Universal Credit is gradually replacing Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) as the main benefit to claim if you can’t work because of a disability. It will depend on your area but this may be why they are changing you to UC. I'm sorry I can't be more help. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)
    Scope

• maggiereckless1
    It’s just confusing that they don’t explain stuff properly and they said cause I’m only getting £66.10 of esa I get more on uc and something about my partners wages lmao 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry they did not explain things properly. I know the benefit system can be very complicated indeed! I am sorry I cannot be anymore help. It may be worth ringing the Scope helpline tomorrow on: 0808 800 3333. 
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm assuming you're claiming Income Related ESA yes? I'm very surprised that you're entitled to that much as you're partner works. May i ask how many hours per week your partner works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Also do the DWP know how many hours per week and how much your partner earns per month?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maggiereckless1
    He works 22 hours a week and they said I was only entitled to £66.10 a week but they know cause we private rent they think we are struggling and the dwp know his earnings and how many hours he works it’s to confusing all of this 
  • maggiereckless1
    I’ve had my mate get more esa then me and lives with her partner who gets £900 of wages and still complains 
  • poppy123456
    There's 2 types of ESA. Contributions based and Income Related. Contributions based is when a person has paid enough national insurance contributions in the 2 previous years before claiming ESA. This isn't affected by household income because it's not a means tested benefit. A partner working doesn't affect this ESA, like your friend most likely.

Income Related is means tested and claiming it depends on household income and savings/capital. So your partner working affects the amount you can claim. With your partner working that amount of hours i'm very surprised that you're receiving any ESA at all. As it's your claim and not your partners then anything earned that's over £20 per week affects your ESA £1 for £1. That amount of hours per week at minimum wage should mean that you wouldn't be entitled to any ESA payments at all, only national insurance credits towards your state pension.

My advice is to ring your local CAB for an appointment for a full benefits check. They will go through all of your details, household income etc and advise you what you could claim. A benefits calculator isn't accurate enough for things like this. As know one here knows all of your details it's impossible to advise you correctly.
  • maggiereckless1
    We private rent which is £650 a month so his wages are paid by that and my friend gets the same esa as me which is super weird she gets that much 
  • poppy123456
    A full benefits check is your only answer here. Please contact your local CAB. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.