How do we all cope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do we all cope

Shon
Shon Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
How do we all cope with chronic pain?. I often find myself in a pain bubble that cant be popped. My voice gets lost and i cant explain myself, i can be hard to handle. I lock myself away when no words can be formed to describe what im feeling. Body pain with added mental pain. A vicious cycle not only for me but for those close to me. 

Comments

• Shon
    How do we all cope with chronic pain?. I often find myself in a pain bubble that cant be popped. My voice gets lost and i cant explain myself, i can be hard to handle. I lock myself away when no words can be formed to describe what im feeling. Body pain with added mental pain. A vicious cycle not only for me but for those close to me. 
  • janekim96P
    janekim96P Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Hi Shon I can absolutely relate to everything you've said I don't cope well at all we just get on with it by getting through each hour by hour personally the only time I don't feel in pain is when I'm asleep but unfortunately I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours max each night I'm stuck here all alone knowing that most people are tucked up in bed it's awfull but thank God we are lucky we are not terminally ill eh? Try to take 1 day at a time or even 1 hour at a time that's what I try to do besides going insane good luck and best wishes to you stay in touch ?
  • Shon
    Hi, yes im the same with sleep but its pain that keeps me awake. Lucky if i get 2 hrs at night. I try and sleep more when i take my 6am dose of meds which hit me like a brick wall by 6:30am. Thank you for replying :smile:
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I try lots of different things which distract me from pain both mental and physical. Some days it's just too much and I'm in bed duvet time closed door to the world. Thanks to support on here I get ideas to try and things to cheer me up or just try to help others. I'm trying hemp  oil at the moment past few weeks but can't tell if it's helping or not. Best wishes
  • Shon
  • pigeon55
    pigeon55 Community member Posts: 116 Courageous
    People sometimes I don't think understand how this effects our day to day life especially the dwp assessments. My life has changed so much since my 2 replacement ops and the spread of arthritis into all my other joints causing depression and anxiety. Hope things improve for you.
  • mumjac
    mumjac Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    The pain is unbearable , and i think why me , i see people older than me getting about ok and me in a scooter , hot sweats then cold shivers at night and go to doctors because I'm depress and he wants to know why im depressed grrr
  • GalDriver
    GalDriver Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    edited September 2018
    Oh mumjac, doctors can be so insensitive and dim! Pain....aaaaaarrrrgh!!! Isn't it a pain?! I take Gabapentin but it takes 2 hours to kick in, lasts about an hour and, to be honest, isn't even that great but I clutch at straws. I tried hemp oil & cbd with only a tiny improvement. What I DO find works, though, is actual cannabis (I think it's the THC?) but getting the dose right is a bit scarey. I made fudge from it so I only get a mild effect. I'm wobbly enough without getting stoned!!! It's the only thing that actually makes me sigh with relaxation. I know some people say that it's a drug but it's far more natural (a plant) than most prescribed chemical drugs! How I wish they'd hurry up and legalise it, then THEY can work out the bloomin' dose!

Big, gentle, hugs for all of us dealing with pain ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shon and @pigeon55, thank you very much for taking the time to share this with us all. I too have chronic pain and can relate to the cycle being vicious! How do you both manage your pain? Hot water bottles help me :)
    Scope

• chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I find if you have a decent night's sleep, the next day is more tolerable pain wise.

A good and positive mental attitude helps me, every cloud has a silver lining type thing, always look on the bright side of life and when life throws you lemons, make lemonade. 

Pain meds can sometimes take the edge off the low level pain, but when the real breathtaking, tear inducing, scream out loud without making a sound, burning pain hits, nothing touches it. 

Pacing everything  is really important and helps me cope
    Me time, me times important, making time for yourself, to do what you want to do or do nothing, mindfulness, de-stress take your mind somewhere else to absolutely chillax without any interruptions or distractions.
    In theory it's easy but in practice, well.

I know "me times" difficult for some people as there are many distractions, so to those people that can;t find "me time".I'm Sorry.

I am lucky, I have a very understanding wife who takes away the distractions, which allows me to try and deal with the pain and discomfort.

Hope everyone has a good nights sleep and a low pain day.

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • Shon
    Having a bad day today. I keep having cramps in my neck which give me headaches. So ive not been online much. Thank you for the replies and tips. 
  • Shon
    I use a hot water bottle like theres no tomorrow. I take zomorph and gabbapentine. I also take primidone for ET (EssentialTremors) i wont mention the antidepressants im taking. 
  • Shon
    oh and methocarbamol. 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Sometimes I just lie down and acknowledge the pain, trying not to react emotionally to it. If I can distance myself from it a bit, that helps.

Other times, it consumes me and all I do is deal with it, no energy left for anyone or anything else.

I am sorry you have th is, too. Is there a chance things might improve for you?
  • clairethornicroft
    clairethornicroft Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Most of my pain is spinal following an accident and I use one of these electric vibration chair pads. It's on the seat and up my back and has different settings. It sometimes helps calm the nerve pain 

Brightness