esa possible windfall help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa possible windfall help

nobodytrue
nobodytrue Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hi.   im currently in recipt of ESA support group (with servere disability premium) and I have an issue.  I write things for fun and have been offered 2k for the rights to something ive written.  its never happened before and I doubt ever will again.

but if I accept the money, will I lost everything.  if not ill just give my rights away.  but it would be good if I could keep it.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope I’m correct in saying your allowed £6000 in savings before it effects your ESA
  • susan48
    Oh and well done
  • nobodytrue
    yes it does.  but this money will be paid by a proper company who will record who I am and what account they paid the money too for there own tax records.  so it still money coming in whilst im in recipt of ESA,  and when they put there accounts in to the revenue the revenue will know.

and will know ive paid no tax on it etc etc.

its a mine field.
  • susan48
    I’d get advice from CAB as I really don’t know the answer, sorry I couldn’t help.

Maybe @Username_removed knows more?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    As it will be classed as income and you're claiming income related ESA then you will need to report this money to DWP when you receive it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nobodytrue
    hi poppy.  yes im aware of this.  that's why im asking for advice as I don't know what they will do then.  

do you know what the dwp position will be if I tell them that im about to be given 2 thousand pounds? what steps they will take?

if its going to be more hassle then its worth I wont accept the money, ill just give my rights away.
  • poppy123456
    When claiming ESA you're allowed to do permitted work and earn up to £125.50 per week, without it affecting your money but you must tell DWP before starting the work. If it is classed as work then this amount of money is way beyond that amount, even with being paid monthly and you'll most likely have an over payment of your ESA.

You really do need to get further advice about this and contact your local welfare rights or CAB because i'm not expert and the last thing i want to do is give you the incorrect advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nobodytrue
    im trying.  C.A,B just told me "you have to tell them" but wont tell me how,
    I cant use the phone or go out so I don't know how I'm supposed to tell them.

ill just give it away.  Ill still get the credit.  would have been so handy though as ive 7 grand in debts due to DWP mess-ups in the past.

• poppy123456
    Giving it away isn't going to help your situation if it's paid into your bank. As soon as this happens then you'll need to report the money. Do you have someone that can ring on your behalf? You'll have to go through security first but then you can pass the phone onto them.
  • nobodytrue
    edited September 2018
    no I will give the thing ive written away.  sign away my rights to receive money for it.   so the company can use it but I don't get anything.
    '

anyone know what "work which is so minimal that it can be regarded as trivial or negligible " means or is judged?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Just just a thought, you have £2000 to be paid for your rights of work you have done. You can earn £125 per week would the company be willing to pay you that amount over 16 weeks that way you will, should be ok ? 
  • nobodytrue
    I dunno and it would be self employed and I don't know how to do that. getting heebeejeebeeies just thinking about it.
  • poppy123456
    wilko said:
    Just just a thought, you have £2000 to be paid for your rights of work you have done. You can earn £125 per week would the company be willing to pay you that amount over 16 weeks that way you will, should be ok ? 
    I agree but that wouldn't be the case if it's classed as work already done because you need to tell DWP you're doing permitted work.
  • nobodytrue
    its hard.  I read somewhere that if your like selling you car on ebay they wouldn't worry about it is its a one off.  but I don't know of it works the same.
  • poppy123456
    Selling your car and getting paid for writing something is totally different. Getting paid for something you've written is classed as working. Selling just one car on ebay isn't working but of course it would be different if you were selling multiple cars because then you'd be classed as a trader.
  • nobodytrue
    aye but as its previous art. I don't know why selling an intellectual property is and different.  :/  not disagreeing with your analysis just saying that if you build a kit car with the intention of selling it.  that's work is it not?   but selling a car you have had hanging around for years is not.

by the same token selling something I wrote some time ago is different to accepting a commission to write.

its not fair.

wonder if I would have this problem if It were a competition ?  do people who win a chunk on the bingo have the same problem?
  • poppy123456
    As i previously stated, i'm not an expert for clarification then you will need to somehow contact the DWP. As you also stated that it's coming from a company and HMRC will know sometime in the future which will mean that DWP will also know.
  • nobodytrue
    yeah.  spokr to someone fdrom  another disabled support line and he said it migh be enough for them to push me into universal credit. and that will cost me a lot more then 2 grand

wouldn't it be good if they could just have a system to declare you have had some money come in and they not pay you for a few weeks or whatever,.  for one off things like this. or even pay 90percent to them that would be fair.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.