Coping with fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coping with fibromyalgia

goldenollie
goldenollie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone
just stumbled across this group in the hope of finding some support and advice.
im a 39 year old veteran with ptsd and bipolar, and I’ve recently been advised my many physical symptoms are possibly fybromyalgia although I am waiting on an mri and muscle test to rule other things out.
I’m on my own and don’t get much support from family, and also being told there is not much in the way of pain relief for fybro I feel in despair, could anyone with the condition give me some hope that some of this pain can be relieved, my mood was stable but with this recent news that has taken a tumble also.
my name Golden ollie is my phycological assistance dog who is my lafesaviour. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goldenollie
    Welcome to the community! Many members of the community suffer with fibromyalgia and I'm sure they will be more than happy to get in touch with you to offer support and advice. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome @goldenollie and would love to hear more about you and your service dog. I believe that's fairly new in the UK? I have fibromyalgia with a recent diagnosis after years of chronic pain. There are threads about these conditions and I hope you find them useful. Message me if you would like to chat. 
  • goldenollie
    goldenollie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks Debbiedo49, Ami2301,
    my assistance dog is being trained by a charity called Veterans With Dogs, they provide service dogs for veterans with a diagnosis of PTSD i am only aware of one other charity in the UK that provide phychologica assistance dogs, he is not fully qualified yet it takes about 18months to train but when he is qualified he will have the same access rights as guide dogs etc, he is still allowed in most places when training I just have to ask permission. He is a big help to me.
    i will have a read of the threads relating to fybro, and hopefully get some reassurance from them. Thanks for the warm welcome. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goldenollie, and a warm welcome to the community! 

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I hope you find some answers soon. We have lots of friendly members with fibromyalgia and related conditions here on the community, so do get involved. Our dealing with chronic pain discussions may be particularly helpful!
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Hi @goldenollie I was diagnosed with fibro a year ago. . I guess I got a head start on pain as I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis 4 years earlier but suffered with back pain since I was in my teens. I guess with fibro it's important to relax.... I think mine gets worse when I'm stressed which is most of the time. Keep moving that's always important, swimming pilates. 

Pain meds well I guess it varies for all, speak to GP or rheumatologist if you have one. Amitriptyline helps, I'm now on Gabapentin CBD oil may help. 
    Hope this helps. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior

Brightness