My mum's health and attendance allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My mum's health and attendance allowance

Meemaw
Meemaw Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi.  My mum is 70 years old.  she resides in a sheltered accommodation flat.  She suffers with severe COPD and uses a mobility scooter to get out and about.  She was refused Attendance Allowance about a year ago when she claimed with the support of the warden from where she lives.  She's managing financially on her Pension and pension credit along with housing benefit.  Sadly, she suffered a heart attack just last Tuesday 18 Sept.  she had a stent fitted and was discharged last Friday 21 Sept.  she's completely shattered not only physically, but mentally too - worried about what she should and shouldn't do and has aged before my eyes.  she's awaiting some input from the Coronary Care Community Team but i wonder if she shouldn't be applying for attendance allowance again.  Do you think she would qualify now, given the deterioration in her health.  Also does anyone know if there is a time limit between claims?  any advice would be appreciated.  thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Meemaw, and a warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your mum have been coping with recently, it must have been really tough on you both. Hopefully some of our members more knowledgeable about AA will be along to advise soon, but I just wanted to let you know your post had been acknowledged. 

In the meantime, I wonder if you've considered seeing your GP so they're informed about your current situation. It could be that they can refer you for some further support/ help with day to day life to make things easier on you both. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. There's no timescale between applying. However, for Attendance Allowance You must have had care or supervision needs because of your disability or illness for at least 6 months before you can get Attendance Allowance. So, if her condition has got worse since her heart attack then i'm afraid she won't qualify.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. There's no timescale between applying. However, for Attendance Allowance You must have had care or supervision needs because of your disability or illness for at least 6 months before you can get Attendance Allowance. So, if her condition has got worse since her heart attack then i'm afraid she won't qualify.

I would also add that the website above quotes: - that the claimant would need help or supervision throughout the day

That is an issue I have. Whilst needing help at some points of the day, the criteria is as above - throughout the day - from waking to going to bed.

Thankfully I am not at that stage myself of needing that level of care/help throughout the day.

If the poster's mum could be said to need help from carers over that timespan then put a claim in.
  • Yadnad
    Does it not? I seem to remember that the DWP state that the meaning of a day represents to waking hours whilst the night is from when they go to bed (the normal time of the household closing down) until getting up the following morning.

You are right there is a waiting period but only so long as to dealing with issue of her heart condition. I would have thought that the reasons she made a claim 12 months ago will still probably stand - COPD - today. The heart condition is very recent.
  • Yadnad
    edited September 2018
    Hi Mike You have lost me.. For the first time this month my brain has gone dead! To me both mean the same. Well if I can't get it in my head how on earth am I supposed to convince the DWP that my care needs are continuous and not continual or maybe the other way round?
    I have looked both up on the net which to be honest has me confused even more so.

continual
    forming a sequence in which the same action or event is repeated frequently.

continuous
    forming an unbroken whole; without interruption.

As for the case law, I have no idea which one you are referring to and how to access it.

At best guess it should be continual and not continuous. In fact the CAB website makes no mention of either of these words it just says throughout the day meaning continual or as you say continuous??.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad said:
    Hi Mike You have lost me.. For the first time this month my brain has gone dead! To me both mean the same. Well if I can't get it in my head how on earth am I supposed to convince the DWP that my care needs are continuous and not continual or maybe the other way round?
    I have looked both up on the net which to be honest has me confused even more so.

continual
    forming a sequence in which the same action or event is repeated frequently.

continuous
    forming an unbroken whole; without interruption.

As for the case law, I have no idea which one you are referring to and how to access it.

At best guess it should be continual and not continuous. In fact the CAB website makes no mention of either of these words it just says throughout the day meaning continual or as you say continuous??.

How on earth does the ordinary man in the street who is disabled and generally unable to decipher these words to see if they are in fact eligible to claim a benefit?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.