Mental health - the benefits of this message board? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health - the benefits of this message board?

EmmaB
EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
edited September 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
Dear All

I'm writing an article for Motability Lifestyle magazine about looking after your mental health.

I wondered if anyone would be interested in being quoted in it [I can change your name and just use a first name] - basically I'm looking for someone who can [briefly] talk about self help but in particular the benefits of having a forum like this.

If anyone would be interested either reply here or you can privately message.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes.

Emma

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EmmaB, thanks for sharing this! I'd love to see the finished piece too, sounds like a really beneficial topic. 

I've passed this post on to a few members who may be interested in contributing, so hopefully we'll see some responses soon. If you'd like any further information about the community, do feel free to drop the team an email at community@scope.org.uk and we'll be happy to help! 
  • EmmaB
    Hi @Pippa_Scope

That's a great idea - I'll share a link with the community when it is published as it will be online as well as in print.

Thanks for spreading the word and for the e mail address.

Best wishes.

Emma
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EmmaB

Good Morning I do hope that you are enjoying the lovely weather??? 

I am one of the “Community Team” here on our site.

Yes I would be very interested in helping you with this.

I suffered my “Stroke” in 1998 at the age off 32.

Over the years I have used many “online forums”

I’m very “passionate” about using my many “experiences” in a “positive” way.

None off the “forums” haven’t come “close”
    to our current “one”

I think by “helping” others who are “desperately” seeking some form of “explanation/sentence”

Sorry for going “on & on”
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EmmaB
    I would love to help!
    I am deaf, partially blind, have Ataxia, Depression, Anxiety and currently recovering from Transverse Myelitis.
    Early this year I felt so alone with my disabilities and the deterioration of my health. One morning I typed 'Disabiloty forums' on Google. Scope was the first search result that came up so I checked it out and it has changed my life ever since. For so many reasons such as meeting other people who are suffering the same as yourself, talking with others like you would when you for a coffee with a friend, having a laugh, people in the community are not professionals but they are so down to earth and non-judgemental. Before being a member of the community I would never speak to new people, never voice my opinion. I too, a chance and I'm glad I did because I've got to know some extraordinary people. This has had a massive impact on my mental health, the community have given me such a confidence boost and let me be myself and I love them for that. ❤️
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • EmmaB
    edited September 2018
    Hi @steve51 and @Ami2301  

Thank you so much for getting in touch, the word count for the article is drastically less [500 words less!] than it usually is for a feature so I'm trying to squeeze a LOT into not enough words!

I'd love to get a brief comment in so @Ami2301 could I quote you as followed I have 17 words left!:  

Ami2301 says, "'Meeting' people through Scope’s online community has had a massive positive impact on my mental health."

It's short but makes the point I hope!

I can use your real first name or an anonymous first name if you prefer - just let me know, either here or message me.

Thanks!

Emma

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Emma,
    You're more than welcome to use my actual name :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    edited September 2018
    Emma
    I would love to help, particularly as I find that, as a journalist, the disabled community is NOT getting what is glibly promised by politicians.  Currently I am writing articles for cancer survivors on aftercancers.com highighting what is available, and how to jump up and down and demand this. This shouldn't be happening, but as a helpful Consultant said, "it's those that shout the loudest who get what's promised".   So far I have found the Scope Forum the best overall for patients, with thoughtful and helpful postings - others have too much flummery', and contributors discussing how they feel - rather than offering helpful advice on how they obtain care they needed.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m happy to help if you inbox me please 
  • veriterc
    Emma
    I frequently email MPs and others to point out comments that have been posted on my website, and wonder if you have any thoughts about potential difficulties when the NHS goes "all digital"?  I have just posted https://aftercancers.com/stating-the-bleeding-obvious-over-nhs-going-digital/
    which highlights possible problems, which I don't think the NHS has addressed - and if you have anythoughts please comment.  I can assure you they will get pointed out!
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there, Oooh! I love that magazine so will look forward to your article.

I found out about this forum and the helpline when 2 lovely people came door to door looking for funding. When I explained I had to sit due to being disabled they said "oh you'll know all about Scope"....and I didn't! They told me about the Helpline and about this forum and 2/3 years later I'm a community champion and user here too.

I think disability can take so many forms, bring so different in its challenges and yet we all share the same resilience, strength, despair, hope etc and I've learnt so much off everyone here. I think that getting support often involves painful travelling and I can access this forum anywhere I have internet. Also I find typing easier than talking some days and I can look back on stuff I've been told too. After 2 years of use I've never met a single troll! Everyone is helpful and even the most opinionated person is polite and I feel that it is really well managed in that respect unlike other forums I use.

I'm really grateful to this forum and it has changed my life. I have found out things on here that I didn't have access to in 'real' life.
  • EmmaB
    Just wanted to thank everyone who has responded to this post, unfortunately my very limited word count means I only have room for one tiny, but positive, quote to say how great the message board is but it IS in there and there will be a link to the community in the 'further information' section too.  

All your replies have been useful because they have confirmed the sense I have got from the board that it is a friendly, helpful, safe place for people to express views and experiences.

@veriterc - good luck with the articles, I think all we can do is chip away via writing at the monsters which are things like the mental health system, NHS, benefit systems etc...  As Sir Francis Bacon once said "Knowledge is power."

I'll post again when the article comes out, won't be for a few months though.

Best wishes.

Emma
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Great stuff, thanks @EmmaB!
  • veriterc
    Emma
    Thanks for nice comments - I like to think Scope members are an intelligent lot!

Brightness