I'm Being made homeless with Disability and Splitting up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm Being made homeless with Disability and Splitting up

Options
davidlewis
davidlewis Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, My name is David Lewis and i have been given a couple of months to move out of my now house and also i am splitting with my partner at the same time! So im in a situation where, I need a flat in Hastings and i dont have a job as im on Disability Allowance as i have Deteriorating Discs in my spine and can not walk or climb too many steps or stairs. So can someone please help me as i need someone to point me in the right direction, as i dont know how much im entitled too for housing and im wanting to move from Rye East Sussex which is Rother District Council and Hastings is Hastings Borough Council so will they help me in any way? Can anyone Please Help me??

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @davidlewis Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what has happened. May I suggest you could contact the local council you wish to move to. Speak to the Housing officer.

They have lots of advice and information. Have a look at the area website. East Sussex council is that the local county.?

Where I live Durham gone on the County website information, advice on housing and anything else related.

Including benefit information. Add to that my county has lists of the housing associations and organisations under a scheme called key options.

I assume your County have a scheme like this.

I would also ring our helpline for anything they can suggest  0808 800 3333. 

Understand also you may need some help and support to move and a possible advocate to help you. Something you may need to ask the local council for.

Wish you the best in finding a property.

We are a supportive friendly community. Care and share Please ask if we can advise further or anything else.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @davidlewis, and welcome!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your circumstances. Given the nature of this issue, I think it would be best to give Scope's helpline a call at 0808 800 3333 (free) to see if they can advise. Alternatively, it may be worth arranging an appointment with your local Citizens Advice.

Does this sound like something you can do? Do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • davidlewis
    davidlewis Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi guys and thanks, I've managed today to fill in the questionnaire fromRother today telling them all, so at least i will be on the system and i have til the 15th of next month to sort things so hopefully something will happen ill let you know and many thanks x
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @davidlewis

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Shelter have excellent resources for people facing homelessness on their website: https://england.shelter.org.uk/ It would probably also be wise to talk to one of their advisers.
    Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness