Genuinely confused about PIP assessment report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Genuinely confused about PIP assessment report

LittleGizmo86
LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hi guys

Firstly thank you for all the amazing information you have provided it has helped a lot.

I need help and advice with regards to my pip claim as I am genuinely confused.

I called last week for an update as I had my f2f 5 weeks ago and was told no decision had been made and while I was on the phone I asked for a copy of the report.

I was expecting lies upon lies. I expected the assessor to say I run marathons and clean my house while doing cartwheels. What I got was the most confusing thing I have ever read. Firstly she told some fairly obvious lies. Despite having a letter from an audiologist saying I have severe to profound hearing loss the assessor states without hearung aids in I had a conversation with her from around 16 feet apart. Despite applying for pip using the NGT text service and providing a 5 page list direct from the supplier of all the assistive technology I use the assessor states that I do not require assistance to communicate. Oh and she observed I was relaxed and not anxious etc and managed well at the assessment and handled everything fine no issues... 10 pages in she discusses the point where I cried?

As if that isn't confusing enough the best part is the fact she was truthful with what I told her. Based on what I have read about assessors lying I was expecting to read how marvellous I am at everything. But no. She honestly and word for word lists exactly what I said I struggle with.. well on some questions she was a little selective with info provided but she was largely honest with my account of things. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Apart from those crazy lies listed above she has actually been honest with the issues I reported I face... well can you imagine the amazement I felt when I got to the back section to see she awarded me nothing... no points... every question a big fat zero?? Why... she simply feels that having looked at me she thinks I look ok... or words to that effect.

The report and the points section look like 2 different peoples reports. 

I have read that the DWP usually just believe the lies that are written in a report and base the decision on that. But I cant find anyone with a case like this? Is it likely the DM will be just as confused as me and conduct their own research? How can you list all the struggles I say I face which goes with the supplied evidence... and then award no points just because? How can you lie and say I was great on the day but also I cried without anyone being confused?

I am really confused about what the outcome is likely to be and what to do now?

I called to ask to speak to the DM today but as my concerns and issues with the report are lengthy and I used NGT text service it wont be practical to do this in a phone call and to put it in a letter but im guessing a decision will be made by then?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for reading ?

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I would ask for a MR and point out exactly that you’v said on here, the report contradicts itself. 
    I would detail it and point out ever part that’s inconsistent, wrong.

Maybe help from welfare rights or cab would help.

Good luck
  • LittleGizmo86
    Hi Susan48

Thank you for the reply. I have not received a decision yet. I am just wondering if anyone has encountered a similar situation as mine and what happened. Is the DWP DM likely to be confused when making the decision?

The point of the assessment is to find out how my disability affects me. I told her. She fully documented them... then suggested zero points for everything anyway?

Usually they just lie and the DM goes along with it. But she didn't. She documented my struggles and decided I was fine anyway lol :)
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Very confusing but the DWP go along with the Assessors report and it very unfair. I am going to tribunal as my MR did not overturn there decision. I got low rate care but thats it. I struggle to walk everyday and have 3 seperate illnessess all neurological due to go into hospital in early August for a spine op so i feel very cheated by my report.
  • LittleGizmo86
    Hi lindadenise,

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't mind if she lied and said I reported no issues with anything and therefore zero points but she didn't. She listed all the issues I reported which clearly all meet at least one of the descriptors for points and match my medical evidence... but suggested zero points anyway because in her informal observatory opInions (I thought they could only provide facts and not opInions anyway) she didn't agree. Im so confused.

I am also sorry to hear of your ill health and poor outcome from the PIP claim. I will keep everything crossed for you for the tribunal and that you get the award you deserve x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys

Firstly thank you for all the amazing information you have provided it has helped a lot.

I need help and advice with regards to my pip claim as I am genuinely confused.

I called last week for an update as I had my f2f 5 weeks ago and was told no decision had been made and while I was on the phone I asked for a copy of the report.

I was expecting lies upon lies. I expected the assessor to say I run marathons and clean my house while doing cartwheels. What I got was the most confusing thing I have ever read. Firstly she told some fairly obvious lies. Despite having a letter from an audiologist saying I have severe to profound hearing loss the assessor states without hearung aids in I had a conversation with her from around 16 feet apart. Despite applying for pip using the NGT text service and providing a 5 page list direct from the supplier of all the assistive technology I use the assessor states that I do not require assistance to communicate. Oh and she observed I was relaxed and not anxious etc and managed well at the assessment and handled everything fine no issues... 10 pages in she discusses the point where I cried?

As if that isn't confusing enough the best part is the fact she was truthful with what I told her. Based on what I have read about assessors lying I was expecting to read how marvellous I am at everything. But no. She honestly and word for word lists exactly what I said I struggle with.. well on some questions she was a little selective with info provided but she was largely honest with my account of things. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Apart from those crazy lies listed above she has actually been honest with the issues I reported I face... well can you imagine the amazement I felt when I got to the back section to see she awarded me nothing... no points... every question a big fat zero?? Why... she simply feels that having looked at me she thinks I look ok... or words to that effect.

The report and the points section look like 2 different peoples reports. 

I have read that the DWP usually just believe the lies that are written in a report and base the decision on that. But I cant find anyone with a case like this? Is it likely the DM will be just as confused as me and conduct their own research? How can you list all the struggles I say I face which goes with the supplied evidence... and then award no points just because? How can you lie and say I was great on the day but also I cried without anyone being confused?

I am really confused about what the outcome is likely to be and what to do now?

I called to ask to speak to the DM today but as my concerns and issues with the report are lengthy and I used NGT text service it wont be practical to do this in a phone call and to put it in a letter but im guessing a decision will be made by then?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for reading ?

The report is not a factual document instead it is an opinion.

She would be right to report what you said but even so she may not believe any part of what you say or allege.
    In simplistic terms she has listened to your explanations but does not accept them as being honest or truthful.

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Thankyou so much if i was you i would go for a MR you have nothing to lose.
    Point out all the things you disagree with and make sure you tell them how you are affected day to day.
    Goodluck i hope you get what you deserve.
    I am disgusted at the way people with geniune disabilities are being cheated out of PIP because the assessors see you for 1 hour and disagree.

• Yadnad
    Thankyou so much if i was you i would go for a MR you have nothing to lose.
    Point out all the things you disagree with and make sure you tell them how you are affected day to day.
    Goodluck i hope you get what you deserve.
    I am disgusted at the way people with geniune disabilities are being cheated out of PIP because the assessors see you for 1 hour and disagree.

The assessors/DWP are only doing what they are required to do, fail as many as they can - otherwise the government's policy of trying to save £billions will never happen. 
  • LittleGizmo86
    Hi guys thanks for the replies.

She hasn't said she doesn't believe me she has just justified her zero points with irrelevant info... for example I have a report from my audiologist that states due to the severity and sight loss combined I am unsafe to go out alone and it is not advisable to use public transport. She has written this as a finding in the report. However she justifies her zero point for going out/travel question because even considering that... I know I live near a tesco?

I have a letter from speech and language and gastro stating that due to joint choking issues and bowel issues I have artificial nutrition with small amounts of physical food only for quality of life purposes... she lists and acknowledges this in the report but justifies the zero points for the meal prep question because I know how to cook spaghetti Bolognese?!
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    I know exactly what you mean my report which contradicts itself bears no relation to any points. In the report it said 'showed in exam, impairments crouch, spine and leg power. Then it said I decided you can walk 200 metres and that is consistant with observations made at the face to face. I did not walk 200 metres at face to face. But no points scored????
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    I know exactly what you mean my report which contradicts itself bears no relation to any points. In the report it said 'showed in exam, impairments crouch, spine and leg power. Then it said I decided you can walk 200 metres and that is consistant with observations made at the face to face. I did not walk 200 metres at face to face. But no points scored????
    It doesn't matter if you walk that distance, the assessor is saying that you could if you wanted to or needed to.

I had the same where the consultant at the Spinal Unit reported that I fell off their walking machine and concluded that I cannot walk beyond 15/20 metres safely. The assessor concluded that if I wanted or needed to I could walk at least 200 metres 0 points. 
  • sarah50
    It's all **** isn't it
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    It's all **** isn't it
    Absolutely that their opinion is more important and carries more weight than the consultant's does - the DWP agreed with the assessor.
    The assessor also was of the opinion that I do not have any mental health difficulties yet she had a copy of a DWP doctor's report for another benefit that said my mental health issues were severe and lifelong and concluded that I have permanently lost 40% of my brain function - the DWP agreed with the assessor - no mental health issues in evidence.

By this time I had had enough and there was no other evidence to prove both the mobility problems and impact along with the impact my mental health issues caused. The assessor is right and no one is prepared to accept otherwise unless I was to put myself through the anguish of waiting for and defending myself at a Tribunal. I gave up with the whole damn thing.
  • sarah50
    I'm. So sorry how do you manage?
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    I'm. So sorry how do you manage?
    With difficulty and careful management of our finances. Losing PIP had a knock on effect with other benefits.

Lost our Pension Credit, PIP as well as the 100% reduction on our Council Tax - all in all we lost about 40% of our income overnight.

We now rely on buses or friends giving us a lift plus our children who live locally are wonderful as they help out with cooked dinners being brought to us. 
    But I will never let anybody know these effects in the same way that I hide my disabilities from the world. You just have to get on with it as there is nothing that you can change.

• sarah50
    If I can't get them to change their decision I will have lost 50% of my income and I'm feeling very scared, but like you say I can only try and deal with what I have. Hope things improve for you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    sarah50 said:
    If I can't get them to change their decision I will have lost 50% of my income and I'm feeling very scared, but like you say I can only try and deal with what I have. Hope things improve for you.
    You will have more chance of that at Tribunal than at MR stage because only 17% of MR decisions change.  Please do get some help. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    sarah50 said:
    No point in being scared you just have to find a way forward with the cards that you have been dealt with. Giving up here is not an option.
    You will manage 
    For me, us, there will be no improvement, not from a welfare benefit point of view. I'm too old by 5 years to claim PIP again. So what we have is what we get.
    Just hope that what good health we do retain stays with us for a few more years at least.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.