ESA and child benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and child benefit

Options
I made a claim as my son’s appointee for ESA on 3/9/18 and he has received one payment of £127 on 21/9. I have just sent back further evidence they needed regarding his education and training and have more forms to complete for a medical assessment which are due back on 10/10. They have received his sick note from his doctor and I have been advised that at present he will receive around £74 per week. I assumed it would be in his account on Friday 28th but nothing has been paid in. I now understand that I need to contact the child benefit office to inform them of this claim but I have yet to do so as I did not fully understand that I had to take responsibility for doing so. Could this be the reason why he did not receive payment and could his claim now be cancelled altogether? I am rather worried that my lack of understanding may stop him receiving ESA altogether. Is there anyone who can advise me on this, please? Many thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,047 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, the child benefit will cause problems with the ESA claim because he can't receive ESA while you're still claiming child benefit. HMRC most likely have contacted DWP. It will be the same if you're still receiving child tax credits for him. If you are then you'll need to contact HMRC and cancel both of those claims. He may now have an overpayment of the ESA. You'll also need to contact DWP on Monday morning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zephyrine1133
    Zephyrine1133 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your advice Poppy. I’ll get in touch with them first thing tomorrow.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.