Length of award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Length of award

Options
miilreef
miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi everyone.
I was successful at tribunal and advised by the judge that it would take four to six weeks for the DWP to sort out my award. It’s been three weeks so I’m being optimistic in that I may only have another week to wait to hear anything.
I was given an award for ten years but what does that mean in practice? Does that mean the DWP will contact me some months before the end of that period or does it mean literally nothing and they can seek to review it at any time?
I originally scored 4 points on assessment, no change on MR but was awarded 29 points at Tribunal. I would like to make use of the Motability scheme but am somewhat nervous of being dependent on it and then having everything taken away.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @miilreef

Great result for you, you have the best award possible.

You have over £6,000 in back pay due.

The DWP will review your claim in 9 years time, at the earliest.

I would highly recommend that you get a Motabilty car.

You should get a benefits check, as your award could passport you onto other benefits, i.e. Carer's Allowance.

Thanks for sharing your positive news, it will give our community a well deserved uplift.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Great news! Sometimes awards from Tribunals don't have reviews. If this is the case with your award then DWP will contact you 3 months before the award is due to end. You'll need to check the award letter when you finally receive it from DWP.

If you decide to choose the mobility car you'll need to wait for your award letter before you proceed with this, once you have it you'll be able to contact a dealer of your choice to test drive some cars.

A daily living PIP award may mean that you're entitled to more money but this will totally depend what other benefits you claim, if any and your circumstances. However, although Carers Allowance is payable you won't be able to claim this for yourself.

There's also the blue badge of course. If you live in England you will need to have scored at least 8 points in the moving around part of mobility PIP to automatically qualify for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    atlas46 said:
    I would highly recommend that you get a Motabilty car.
    There are other options - a private lease deal or even buy one using the back pay as a deposit.
    I say this as I was on an indefinite DLA award yet when they came to assess me for PIP they awarded me with 0 points across the board. The car was repossessed when the decision came through.

PIP is different but would I still want to rely on the benefit always being there for at least 9 years - who knows - I wouldn't. I neither trust or believe in what the DWP say or do given that I have had 23 years of bad experiences of their wonderful and often confusing ways they operate these sickness and disability based benefit claims generally with no regard to legislation or even their own guidelines.
  • miilreef
    miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Thank you all for the information and support :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.