Change of circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances

suzyc64
suzyc64 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I receive standard rate of pip and ESA. I'm now having to have both hip replacements so was wondering if I should be on enhanced rate as most other people, including my new doctor think I should be. I also have severe osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @suzyc64

Sorry to learn about your difficulties.

I would suggest you seek Welfare Rights advice, from say your local CAB.

They will also assist you if you need to report a change of circumstances.

Have you got a copy of the assessor's report on your claim for PIP, this would be helpful for your advisor?

Hope this helps.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    It sounds to me as if you need all the help you can get right now.. I don't know how the British healthcare system works. It sounds complicated and lengthy.

I hope you are taken care of soon.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Reporting a change of circumstances is very risky and you really should get further advice before doing so. A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. A hip replacement can often mean you could be walking around a lot easier sometime in the future. Usually a Consultant won't operate unless they think you're health will improve for the better. For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months.

Please speak to your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre before reporting those changes. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • niknoo
    niknoo Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    Hi,
    Reporting a change of circumstances is very risky and you really should get further advice before doing so. A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. A hip replacement can often mean you could be walking around a lot easier sometime in the future. Usually a Consultant won't operate unless they think you're health will improve for the better. For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months.

Please speak to your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre before reporting those changes. Good luck.
    Spot on again Poppy! My consultant said to me he won’t operate on my neck as there’s too many discs gone, also a big risk putting me under general and he didn’t think the op would be 100% successful, nor improve my quality of life regarding pain etc due to Fibro. 
  • cracker
    Does this mean you cannot have any treatment for your pain?

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I also have some painful conditions that they dare not operate on: I would not heal and would probably get worse.

It's hard to accept that some of our damage cannot be undone or treated.

Good wishes you you.
  • niknoo
    @cracker, all I can have is pain management. Do high dose of lots of pain killers daily, that’s all they can do for me unfortunately. Xx
  • cracker
    Yes, we are in the same boat. Pain, unfortunately, as become an every day (call it "normal" condition".

I am sorry you must deal with this, too. And thank you for replying. I feel less alone in it now, knowing someone understands.
  • niknoo
    cracker said:
    Yes, we are in the same boat. Pain, unfortunately, as become an every day (call it "normal" condition".

I am sorry you must deal with this, too. And thank you for replying. I feel less alone in it now, knowing someone understands.
    It is very lonely and isolating, always feel free to drop me a message if you ever want to talk ❤️
  • Tara2015
    Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    I agree with poppy I think they'd jump on it and say your fit for work even though youl need a lot of time and physio to heal I'd speak to cab and see what they say but might not be worth the risk putting financial stress on top of a double hip replacement hope your ops go well 
  • cracker
    niknoo said:
    cracker said:

It is very lonely and isolating, always feel free to drop me a message if you ever want to talk ❤️
    Thank you for the invitation. Do write me, too, if you want.

Thinking about what you said about isolation: I often think of how far I feel from others, living in a different world with its own set of limitations and rules. I (we) are forced to live with the pain. No one I know can understand that or have a clue as to what it does to your life.

Be safe.

Brightness