How many hours can you work with PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many hours can you work with PIP?

valeriecarter
valeriecarter Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my husband gets pip how Maney ours can he work thanks 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @valeriecarter
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure however another member of the community will be able to advise you and will be in contact with you soon. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @valeriecarter, and a warm welcome to the community!

Work doesn't affect PIP, as PIP is not means-tested, so there isn't a maximum number of hours somebody could work. However, for other benefits such as ESA, only a certain number of 'permitted hours' are allowed. You can find out more about permitted work on the Disability Rights UK website.
    1 Disability benefits

Disability living allowance (DLA), personal independence payment (PIP) and attendance allowance are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested, so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.

Starting a job may suggest that your care or mobility needs have changed, so your benefit entitlement could be reconsidered. It is possible that your care needs may actually increase if you move into work. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) views starting or leaving work as a potential ‘change of circumstances’ for DLA and PIP.

2 Permitted work

If you are getting employment and support allowance (ESA), incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance (SDA), national insurance credits or income support because of incapacity for work, you are allowed to do some ‘permitted work’.
    You have a choice of three types of permitted work, depending on your circumstances:
    • permitted work lower limit;
    • permitted work higher limit; and
    • supported permitted work.
    Permitted work can include paid employment or self-employment. There is no limit as to how long you can do permitted work for.
    You must tell the DWP that you are due to start permitted work; call 0800 169 0310.

If you are self employed, you will need to seek advice about how your earnings are calculated.
  • valeriecarter
    Thank you so much my husband gets pip but been offered a job at 42hurs aweek so if he takes the job he want get in to trubble 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much my husband gets pip but been offered a job at 42hurs aweek so if he takes the job he want get in to trubble 
    There is nothing stopping him working 70 hours a week.
    However be aware that whilst it should not be a problem for PIP, the assessor and/or the DWP might think that if you work then the disabilities and impact may well be over stated.
    Just make sure that the work you do does not indicate that a descriptor(s) are not compromised. For example working in a warehouse could indicate that mobility is good as is stamina therefore no pain involved.
    If the assessor could use it against you they may well do so, wrong of course but you never know.
  • valeriecarter
    Is there anyone I can talk to ur inbox to help me with housing benifit etc 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Providing the work he does doesn't contradict the reasons for his PIP claim then it will be fine. If he condition has improved then those changes do need to be reported.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Is there anyone I can talk to ur inbox to help me with housing benifit etc 
    I'm sure someone will help you if you start another thread of your own with the questions you have. It can become very confusing when asking questions on another persons thread.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @valeriecarter, feel free to start a new discussion with your query and somebody will be along to help! 
  • bigDuane
    bigDuane Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    I’ve been offered a job 25 hours per week but don’t know if the job is permanent I receive pip for mental illness would I lose my pip
  • poppy123456
    bigDuane said:
    I’ve been offered a job 25 hours per week but don’t know if the job is permanent I receive pip for mental illness would I lose my pip
    I answered your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/61860/bigduane#latest

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.