Move to PIP - need emotional support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Move to PIP - need emotional support

lucy14
lucy14 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm Lucy 
I have joined the forum today as I have received my letter a few days ago to change from higher rate mobility to PIP and am worried sick as I don't think I will qualify.
Beside help with the obvious, I'm looking for a bit of emotional support, i can feel myself spiralling at the moment and dont have the energy to write a long post so will give more details as i go along if thats ok...x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lucy14
    Welcome to the community! We will help you anyway we can :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lucy14
    Thank you Ami x
  • lucy14
    Just a little bit about me..
    I hope you all don't mind me rambling on..I feel such a fraud after reading other people's stories..

I'm 57 and was born with hip dysplasia..
    The Doctors dismissed my mum's concerns and in those days doctors were God's and not to be argued with..
    So at the age of around 18mths to maybe 2yrs and me still not walking they decided something was wrong and so discovered that I had been born with an undiagnosed dislocated hip ( my mum was right ) and went about fixing it..
    However it was never set correctly and has lead to problems all of my life..x
  • Ami2301
    Sorry to hear this @lucy14
    Are they able to do anything further to help?
  • lucy14
    Hi Ami .
    Will post some more later as I'm a bit overwhelmed and my mum is picking me up shortly...
    To reply to your comment though...yes I have had futher help...operations physio ect xx

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's all about how your conditions affect you daily. Evidence will be needed to support your claim and you should make sure it's sent with the forms when you return them. Your DLA will continue providing the PIP forms are received within the time. Extra time can be given to return the forms if you ring PIP and ask.

I would advise getting some help to fill out those forms from either your local welfare rights, CAB or any other disability advice centre near you.

Expect a face 2 face assessment as most people have these. If a home assessment is needed then you'll need to send a letter from your GP stating the reasons why. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ok, we are always here whenever you need us :)
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @lucy14

Try to get some f2f help from CAB or similar or local authority welfare rights.

Disability Rights site has a good guide to claiming PIP including a draft diary you can adapt.  Good idea to include a 7 day diary with your PIP form.

Ask any questions you like on here.
  • yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I transferred from DLA to PIP without any problems,but I must admit I had a great deal of help from Age UK.

• lucy14
    Hi there thank you for your comments. I will do some research and start asking questions..

I have just wrote an essay and deleted it..my head is all over the place...
    Basically I'm worried about filling the forms in as when I applied for mobility it was how far can you walk without pain...I'm constantly in pain!! now it's how far can you walk..
    Well I can walk because I make myself...any distance I use a stick sometimes I fall over..so many times infact i have damaged my shoulder.
    I have a hip replacement need both knees replacing and mortons neuroma in both feet..due to way I walk I also have constant back pain.. 
    I hurt standing up sitting down and lying in bed..
    But I get up in the morning and take the tablets and get on with it because I am used to being in pain had it all my life..just sometimes it's hard.
    I come home from work some days and cry with the pain.
    I work for myself so can control what I do..
    I'm a hairdresser but I have adapted my working life to deal with my problems..
    I coloured someone's hair a week after my hip replacement..I looked at the situation and adapted which I'm sure most people on this forum can associate with..
    The money I get from motorbility allows me to do this..
    I am a fighter!! 
    I overcome depression pulled myself up from nearly ending it all..but am starting to sink again...
    Who would employ me I couldn't work in a salon..
    I can prepare a meal if I can make myself shop for food..
    I have to look after myself I live on my own...but on the other hand when it's really bad my friends and family help...
    Have left lots out because I'm rambling..
    Sorry for going on I know there are people suffering more than me. X

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    It is how far before the pain is too great that you have to stop and rest.  Your disabilities have to fit relevant descriptors.  Best to keep things simple - too many ifs and buts and this could give assessor scope to think you can do more than you can.  And assessors will use the slightest excuse to come down on the side or ability rather than disability.  You have to have at least 4 bad days out of 7.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    yingtong said:
    I transferred from DLA to PIP without any problems,but I must admit I had a great deal of help from Age UK.

Did you, that surprises me. Mind you there must be good and poor branches. Our Ageuk had to close their door because the council funding was stopped. They have since reopened albeit on a temporary basis and no longer have any professional welfare rights people just a young girl that helps out with form filling only.

• lucy14
    Just an update...
    Can't get in the right frame of mind to ring them..it can sometimes take me weeks to make a phone call I don't really know why. But..
    Thanks PIP ended up at the doctors yesterday back on the tablets!!...my mum made me go as she was worried about me and has been for weeks as I havent been sleeping well and been in pain...the depression has been making it's way back.
    I have been managing really well and wouldn't have needed tablets if it hadn't been for PIP..
    I have never claimed anything for depression it has always been for my mobility..I really don't know how I'm going to cope without the money it's my independence.
    After counselling they come to the conclusion that it's caused by all the rejections I have had in my life including losing my little boy..
    Well thanks PIP..for bringing it all back..x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.