ESA and kind of PIP question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and kind of PIP question

DeeDeeM
DeeDeeM Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all

Bare with me please I’m having a rant.

Last December I had an face to face assessment for ESA and was automatically put in support group (I’ve been in this group for the past 5 years) 

On my letter they didn’t specify the amount of time I would receive this.

I was also on PIP enhanced daily living standard mobility. 

I had a f2f PIP in August which I recorded. They’ve taken all my points off me even though my conditions are worse. I couldn’t provide medical evidence as I’m back and forth to various hospitals having tests (I have 10 appointments alone this month) they’ve put me on standard daily living no mobility.

Last week I had a text from DWP seeing if I was entitled for disability premium (I’m not, but not received confirmation of this) 

Today in the post I got the ESA50 form.

That was it!! I had a major breakdown and had to make an emergency appointment with my doctor.

As I’ve told him, I’ve got all these health problems. I’m having a daily battle with my mental health issues and basically the DWP are going to kill me!! I’m tired, I can’t fight my own demons and fight DWP. I’ve got nothing left in me!! My body is tired and my head is telling me all I need is a massive bottle of whiskey and a few packs of pills. I’m done! I want everything to just stop!!

Thankfully I got to see my doctor and just collapsed in tears, ranting and raving!

He patiently listened to me, explained he knows exactly how the DWP work and that all the medical evidence you give they still lie about you.

He’s told me I am in no way fit to work and given me a 6 month sick note, stating I have mental health issues. Back problems, knee and feet pains which are being investigated.

Anyway, do you think this will help my ESA as well as the mandatory reconsideration for my PIP. 

Ive got to the point where I can’t do this anymore, the DWP will kill me if they keep on and on. I have no fight left for court etc. I’m sick of fighting to prove I am unwell even though I provide them with evidence over and over again. My health both mental and physical will never go. 

Sorry for the long long post I just needed advice and maybe to vent

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way.

Unfortunately, for ESA they can reassess you at anytime and your recent PIP decision will have had no affect on them sending you another ESA50 form. The ESA50 form doesn't come from DWP it comes straight from the health assessment providers.

The fit/sick note your GP gave you will not help either of your claims. As you're already in the Support Group for ESA then no further sick/fit notes are needed. It won't help your PIP claim either because PIP isn't about working, people claim PIP and work.

The ESA50 form you received does have to be filled in and returned along with all of your evidence. They rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent. It does have to be returned by the date stated on the letter.

For your PIP claim, have you asked for the Mandatory reconsideration? This is your next step and you have 28 days from the date of the decision to request this. Only 17% of MR decisions change so it's likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal. Evidence will be needed to support this claim too. Future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence, unfortunately. It doens't have to be medical evidence, maybe someone that knows you well can write a supporting letter about how your conditions affect you in relation to the PIP descriptors. A written diary from yourself may also be helpful. Medical evidence can be used especially if it proves those descriptors apply to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tara2015
    Tara2015 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi deedee so sorry you are feeling so low and going through all this I'm new to pip and work part time so won't be much help but iv just submitted a MR as like you they made up there own story so I'm only asking for extra points for bathing and dressing as they have said I can with an aid, I can't i don't have a shower and can't get one fitted as I'm in for a move to a one level house when ever one is available to suit my needs, all I can say as far as I know they will only accept evidence of what you were like at the time like you my condition has got a lot worse over the last 3 months but they don't go by that only by how you were when you filled in the form and had the f2f I could be wrong but I'm sure someone more helpful will come along who knows more, just want to say good luck and try to push yourself to keep fighting xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @DeeDeeM  

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. I am glad that you have seen your doctor and they are being supportive.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help.  Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org  

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself:  

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away. 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • DeeDeeM
    Thanks all, I still feel really down today and in lots of physical pain but I’ll be ok, always am.

i can’t handle stress well which I stated in my PIP assessment showing my arm where I had self harmed (not done that in a while) in the report he’s put there’s some ‘scratches’ on my arm. Luckily I have photo evidence to show it was way more than a few scratches.

im getting more and more confused about ESA. Today I recieved a letter saying ‘they’ve look at my claim following a recent change’

theyve then just posted the rates I was paid from 2013!!

what the hell is all this about? If I can attach a photo I will
  • DeeDeeM
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's most likely to do with the Income related top up that they contacted you about, as you say you're not entitled to it they sent you a break down of all your payments since 2013.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DeeDeeM
    Ah right. Thanks poppy.

the plot thickens though. They’ve put £927 in my bank today. 

Im assuming it’s the SDP from when I lived alone in 2016.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.