should we automatically receive a copy of our HCP report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

should we automatically receive a copy of our HCP report

Options
sarah50
sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
Healthcare professional reports

should we automatically receive a copy of our HCP report 8 votes

Yes we should be sent a copy of the report
87%
Waylaysusan48Mikey44miilreef[Deleted User][Deleted User]newto3399 7 votes
No we should have to ask for them
12%
Yadnad 1 vote

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes we should be sent a copy of the report
    Absolutely, it should be automatically sent out
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    @sarah50 I wholly agree it should be just sent, but this has been discussed with the DWP and they won't do it as they just say the claiment can phone and just ask for it, I know they are supposedly writing it into the new form to let claimants know they can get a copy of it.

They decided it this way as they say it saves money.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sarah50 I wholly agree it should be just sent, but this has been discussed with the DWP and they won't do it as they just say the claiment can phone and just ask for it, I know they are supposedly writing it into the new form to let claimants know they can get a copy of it.

They decided it this way as they say it saves money.
    Well isn't that a good thing overall - saving money?
    Like all businesses including advice agencies, budgets are set so that the money available is spent wisely and gives good value.
    If you did not have a budget the running costs of the DWP would be like a runaway train.
    Most people pay tax one way or another and they expect that the government should be careful with what they receive.

As for the report personally I don't see the point in getting all in a state in trying to get a copy asap. It will come with the decision letter and then you will have probably three weeks to lodge a MR. The MR application need not be pages in length but just the outline of where you think you should have scored points and why. Surely 3 weeks is sufficient time.

To me people are making themselves ill with stress and worry when it need not happen.
  • sarah50
    Options
    Thankyou for your comments, I would also add that I see it as not just a way of saving some admin cost, but another way of disadvantaging the already disadvantaged. The date on my decision letter was the 19th I had 1 month to lodge a MR but I didn't get that letter until the 27 th a Saturday so I had to wait to Monday to ring up and ask for a copy I don't have it yet but time is ticking and I may be forced to send my MR without the benefit of seeing that report, reducing the likely hood of overturning the decision. I know you can get extensions on time limits but it's. really stressful and just feels like an unfair uphill struggle. Xx
  • sarah50
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @Yanad I did not get a copy with the decision letter. I had to phone and ask for it as I said above I agree they could send it with the decision letter. I also disagree that you think people are making themselves ill with stress like they choose to stress. My whole life has been turned upside down on a decision that took them 5 months to make and has left me worrying about how I'm going to afford to heat and eat.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    sarah50 said:
    Thankyou for your comments, I would also add that I see it as not just a way of saving some admin cost, but another way of disadvantaging the already disadvantaged. The date on my decision letter was the 19th I had 1 month to lodge a MR but I didn't get that letter until the 27 th a Saturday so I had to wait to Monday to ring up and ask for a copy I don't have it yet but time is ticking and I may be forced to send my MR without the benefit of seeing that report, reducing the likely hood of overturning the decision. I know you can get extensions on time limits but it's. really stressful and just feels like an unfair uphill struggle. Xx
    With the decision letter will have come the reasons the DWP have given for that decision - that is what you are dealing with, not the contents of the assessors report. If you want to spend hours/days/weeks challenging what the assessor had written - what's the point, you can't change the contents of that report and to put it bluntly the DWP won't be interested in your opinion of the contents of that report.

The DWP have given their reasons how the decision came to being - challenge that. Plus, the likelihood of getting the decision changed at MR is so slim that really is it worth spending weeks on producing a document that will in any event be probably ignored. When you appeal - that is the time to go to town with your claim.

Options
    sarah50 said:

@sarah50 in this case for MR considerations etc it would be a great idea as you quite rightly point this reason out. Also when I ask for my first one it was delayed and when I asked for another in all I waited 5 weeks, good job I wasen't having to put in a MR. X?

@Yadnad ever the optimist my friend all I see is negativeness, I know there's not much to be positive about these days in the 21st century I have ask mr Dr if I get grumpy old man syndrome please have me put down???? Anyway you carry on I'm sure many enjoy reading it. ?? Remember yadnad we love ya❤️...
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Yadnad
    edited November 2022
    Options
    sarah50 said:

@Yadnad ever the optimist my friend all I see is negativeness, I know there's not much to be positive about these days in the 21st century I have ask mr Dr if I get grumpy old man syndrome please have me put down???? Anyway you carry on I'm sure many enjoy reading it. ?? Remember yadnad we love ya❤️...
    I'm not being negative I try to find an easier, simpler solution. Yes you have to be an optimist especially where the DWP are concerned.

I do find it hard to understand why people get into a tiswas in wanting the assessors report asap. It really doesn't matter what the assessor's opinion is - it is just that one person's opinion and not a statement of fact.

I'm all for an easy life, one that I can live with. Trying to cope with the difficulties and restrictions that my health issues impose on me is hard enough.

When I did my three MR's all three attacked the decision makers reasons - I have never actually bothered to read the assessor's report in any great depth - just accepting it for what it was. Out of the three MRs' I won two and went from 0 points to enhanced for both mobility and care both times. The DWP ignored the evidence for the third and decided that their decision should still stand as 0 points.
    I could have challenged that by appeal but I knew how it would have affected me mentally so didn't bother. If someone locally was to take the case on now of course I would let them as long as I didn't have to suffer anymore than I already do.

Of course the system is flawed. My only regret is that I knew nothing about my ability to have the MR for the length of the award - I only concentrated on the points. Knowing what I now know I would have pushed for a much longer period instead of the 3 years given by the DWP.
    As Mike [removed by moderator] as said - if you fail to argue for length as well as the points the DWP will always give the shortest length that they think that they can get away with. In fact the DWP have no evidence that could support the 3 years I was being given - my fault I should have challenged the DWP to show me the evidence that they had used.
    Options
    @Yadnad  I love ya buddy and I know you've had a rough end of a stick with your fair share of hassle with the DWP, and yes the DWP certainly don't make it easy that's for sure.

Ok my reason is I get paranoid over certain things and for me having my report is a case I want it as I now they the assessment provider makes the recommendation and it does tell the DWP decision maker what decision to give, in very rare circumstances the DM will use their own judgement but not very often.

Ive just had a classic case regarding my ESA even though I'm still in the Support Group the two assessments are completely different and slim down of the reasons why, is when they full well know I now fit the exemption group of ESA and decided to take the less regarded information to not exempt me even though they had all the factual evidence already as well as updated evidence.

So I have all my copies for this very reason? Even though I'm in the Support Group now I might not be in a few years and have to appeal it puts me in good stead to win my case they are my reasons I require any reports etc done on me I hope you now understand why some of use want them.

As I've mentioned to you before about my PIP? The assessment report was 100% spot on and well justified, even the DWP agreed as you can see in the pic below.

So now my friend I hope you now understand why I want mine.
    ⬇️

• Yadnad
    Options
    @Yadnad  I love ya buddy and I know you've had a rough end of a stick with your fair share of hassle with the DWP, and yes the DWP certainly don't make it easy that's for sure.

Ok my reason is I get paranoid over certain things and for me having my report is a case I want it as I now they the assessment provider makes the recommendation and it does tell the DWP decision maker what decision to give, in very rare circumstances the DM will use their own judgement but not very often.

Ive just had a classic case regarding my ESA even though I'm still in the Support Group the two assessments are completely different and slim down of the reasons why, is when they full well know I now fit the exemption group of ESA and decided to take the less regarded information to not exempt me even though they had all the factual evidence already as well as updated evidence.

So I have all my copies for this very reason? Even though I'm in the Support Group now I might not be in a few years and have to appeal it puts me in good stead to win my case they are my reasons I require any reports etc done on me I hope you now understand why some of use want them.

As I've mentioned to you before about my PIP? The assessment report was 100% spot on and well justified, even the DWP agreed as you can see in the pic below.

So now my friend I hope you now understand why I want mine.
    No problems - it is each to their own. It was just me trying to understand why everybody is going ape for their report. Either I was missing a trick at the time or, as you say, each has their own reasons.
  • sarah50
    Options
    I would like to see how similar or wildly different my assessment of me and there's is so I can understand what the decision maker was looking at is all. I don't intend to pick the assessors report to bits but and example or two of where it is wrong and why would be useful in building my case.
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also to add @yadnad I'm a stickler for everything to be right and backed up as do the DWP and they and I like everything in writing and as I want a paper trail for everything between me and them as I don't trust anyone these days.

As for others going ape as you put it, they also have there reasons for there's.

Like I said I have two contradicting reports for my ESA which can and will be used to prove my rights if I ever need to appeal in the future that should I ever get harassed in the future for which the DWP and I have the same backed up evidence.

⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.