Appeal postponed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal postponed

WearyOfPIP
WearyOfPIP Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,,
I am new to this site but hope someone will have some experience or advice.

I applied for PIP last year, mainly on mental health grounds. To cut a long story short, I had the ATOS assessment which was a bunch of lies, initial outcome of zero points, mandatory reconsideration saying no change and sent off the paperwork for my appeal.

This was all in 2017, so I waited the usual 40 weeks or so for a date. I eventually got a letter saying the hearing would be 12th October 2018 . That was last week !

Today, I got another letter to say that there is a "conflict of interest" and the Judge has postponed my hearing, and they will write to me with a new date.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    It could be for many reasons.
    A Tribunal and it's members have to be impartial. If there is any connection with each other (family work etc) they cannot sit.

• WearyOfPIP
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Yadnad. But does that mean someone I know will have read my paperwork, or just see the name and said there was a problem. I can't imagine who I might know on the panel!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    As I said it could any number of things - it doesn't matter.
    All you need think about is that the panel will be independent of each other and of anybody else which can only be a good thing.
    I had am interesting type of issue many years ago over business rates that I had refused to pay. The short story is that I pushed it as far as the Magistrates Court.
    I was in the 'box' when the three magistrates came in only to see a good friend's wife as one of them. They had to go back out again and find a replacement. They came in again only for me to recognise the new one as a client of mine. Off they went again. The Clerk to the Court came up to me and asked which other courts could be used in different towns as it seems that I know most of the ones here. I then went through the towns that I knew who could be sitting and we ended up agreeing a town over an hour away that I thought would be OK.
  • WearyOfPIP
    Oh dear....trying to say calm.

Thanks
  • WearyOfPIP
    Oh dear....trying to say calm.

Thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.