am I entitled to the severe disability premium? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

am I entitled to the severe disability premium?

Shadiva38
Shadiva38 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I receive income related esa and enhanced rate of pip, I have lived on my own now since July am I entitled to the severe disability premium, thanks

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    It sounds like you fit the criteria. What you need to do is phone the ESA helpline and ask to fill in or it can be done over the phone. You need to ask them to send or ask them to fill in form IS10.

Thats what I did and then it was added to my ESA, I did mine over the phone.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The Gov.uk website has some useful information about severe disability premiums and eligibility. You may also find our benefits calculator useful too.
    Liam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Shadiva38
    Thank you so much for your quick correspondence, very helpfull
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You don't say which PIP award you have? You need the daily living part of PIP and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shadiva38
    Yes I have the daily living part, my daughter was my carer until April this year and moved out my house the beginning  of July, I have also recently moved. informed esa of all the changes months ago I've had 3 letters now but none stating anything about severe disability premium 
  • poppy123456
    Have you applied for the SDP? If not then you either need to ring them and apply over the phone or ask them to send you the IS10 form but you can apply over the phone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Shadiva38
    Hiya, yes they took me through the form filling over the fone only a couple of weeks ago but since then I've had 3 esa letters nothing stating sdp, I called them originally April then July with change of circumstances 
  • poppy123456
    As it was only a couple of weeks ago it can take at least 4 weeks to claim the SDP. It will be backdated to when you became eligible.
  • Shadiva38
    Thanks for your help, this has been a very helpful and friendly service, x
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    If you win pip appeal and lost pip and premiums before but now court says you were entitled to pip and has overturned dwp decision do you get sdp backdated as well as pip?? 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Do people get carers allowance even if the disabled person they look after eh son or daughter is working?? 
  • poppy123456
    A person can claim carers allowance if they look after someone for at least 35 hours per week and the person they're looking after claims a qualifying benefit, DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living. The person claiming mustn't be earning more than £120 per week after deductions. Students can't claim carers allowance.

A person can't claim SDP if someone is claiming carers allowance for looking after them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.