esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa

Options
hi guys im having a panic and a worry my parter has jist told me he will h doing 30 hours a week and i told him i will lose all of my esa when that happens he he told me to go get a job i do not have a clue what to do as its difficult enough for me to look for work with my health issues

Comments

• fyzah
    fyzah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    He sounds uncaring, by telling you just to go and get work. What are your health issues?
  • maggiereckless1
    maggiereckless1 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    I have aspergers kidney problems deaf in my left ear got depression and anxiety 
  • maggiereckless1
    Options
    I have aspergers kidney problems deaf in my left ear got depression and anxiety 
  • fyzah
    fyzah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    It all depends on so much. Do you have a happy respectful relationship usually? Because his comment doesn't sound as if he accepts that you are unwell.  Do you have a mortgage together, or is the home in your name ? Because if he doesn't care that you are ill, maybe you are better off without him, if he is not going to understand. But if it was just a throw away statement, and your relationship is ok and he does understand, then maybe he can give you some money to make up fr what you lose. Do you know, it really hinges on your relationship, and how ill you are. Because he is saying he doesn't want to be held back by you health issues, then this is going to be tricky. The whole benefits system under the Tories is cruel and has personally caused me to be in 8 thousand pounds worth of debt because of changes under the Tories. I have a tumour inside my spine, and severe arthritis and at least 5 operations ahead of me, plus still have children at home; by they don't care. They do not care if I die on the streets, even though I spent most of my life working and paying into the system. 
    The facts are that they will do whatever they say they will, so it is totally between you and your partner to resolve this.. or is he worth being with you if he does not care. Only you can decide this. You are always vulnerable when you are ill and in pain...it is the most horrible situation to be in. People who are not ill do not understand always; I didn't until I became very ill.

• maggiereckless1
    Options
    We live in a private rented house and his wages go on the rent and I only get £66.10 a fortnight in benefits because they cut most of my esa off I was going to do permitted work but it’s finding something that suits my needs I’m scared of what’s going to happen with esa and that 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Have you reported those changes to ESA? with your partner working 30 hours par week then this will mean that you won't be entitled to any ESA at all. working 24 hours per week will mean no Income Related ESA and it will stop. You really do need to contact ESA and tell them those changes because you'll have an overpayment if you don't. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do permitted work because your ESA payments will stop but they will continue to pay your national insurance credits towards your state pension.

Depending on other household income you maybe entitled to housing benefit. Do you claim this? Does he claim tax credits? I'd advise you to put all of your details into benefits calculator to see what if anything you can claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maggiereckless1
    Options
    It’s came up with 100odd last night can’t remember what for it’s jusy pressuring me to find work 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What came up with £100?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maggiereckless1
    Options
    The benefits calculator 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your partner is working 30 hours per week then you need to report those changes to ESA, have you done this?

I'd advise you to contact your local CAB where they will be able to do a full benefits check on you based on your household income.
  • maggiereckless1
    Options
    I’m sat at jobcentre I’m worried to tell them I have aspergers and my anxiety is going through the roof 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Maybe ringing ESA would have been easier than going to your local job centre, as you can ring to report changes.
  • maggiereckless1
    Options
    I asked them and they said to stay on esa for now till my partner knows when he will be doing them hours 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.