Girlfriend just had BIZARRE phonecall to DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Girlfriend just had BIZARRE phonecall to DWP

PIPnewbie
PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
As some know, she called for her assessment report yesterday for the second time, to which she was told they don't send out assessment reports any more, etc.

She just called again, and it's the same time of day as yesterday (as soon as the line is about to close), and she is utterly convinced it was the same guy she spoke to yesterday, who told her she has to wait until it's sent with the award/decision letter.

This is how the conversation went:

Him: Phone number?
Her: *gives phone number*
Him: Any other benefits?
Her: Yes
Her: *gives phone number again*
Him: System is slow
Her: *silence*
Her: *gives number yet again*
Him: Unfortunately we don’t send out the report until a decision is made as we don’t want to mislead you in any way...

(This is where his tone of voice changed stern and snappy, then said)

Him: ...actually, a decision was made this afternoon so I’ll get one in the post for you thanks.
Her: Thank you
Him: What is your address?
Her: *Gives address*
Him: Phone number
Her: *gave number one final time
Him: I’ll get it straight out to you
Her: Thanks

What was that about?!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If a decision was made this afternoon then it takes about 24 hours to transfer from one computer to another. Ring again tomorrow early afternoon and ask if a decisions been made, if it has they'll tell her. If a mobile number was added to the form then they usually send a text when they have all the information they need to make a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPnewbie
    edited October 2018
    If a decision was made this afternoon then it takes about 24 hours to transfer from one computer to another. Ring again tomorrow early afternoon and ask if a decisions been made, if it has they'll tell her. If a mobile number was added to the form then they usually send a text when they have all the information they need to make a decision.

So even though he said a decision has been made and he'll send it out in the post straight away, it's best to call again?
  • poppy123456
    Yes, to ask what the decision is if it's been made they will tell you over the phone. You could have asked today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • PIPnewbie
    Yes, to ask what the decision is if it's been made they will tell you over the phone. You could have asked today.
    I thought they couldn't tell you over the phone what the decision is, just that it's been made?
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea who told you that but it's definitely not correct.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    probably the DWP again!!
  • PIPnewbie

So they can say you’ve been awarded either component, and how many points scored?
  • poppy123456
    They will tell you what the decision is. The award letter will tell you everything else.
  • Yadnad
    They will tell you what the decision is. The award letter will tell you everything else.

Things have then changed a lot. Years ago (ESA claim) they refused to discuss or disclose anything over the phone. You had to wait for the decision in writing.
  • poppy123456
    Yes, they certainly have. Now that's no longer true, if a decision is made they tell you what it is, whether you're successful or not.
  • Yadnad
    Yes, they certainly have. Now that's no longer true, if a decision is made they tell you what it is, whether you're successful or not.
    wow!! it's like ringing someone up and telling them of the death of a loved one if no award was to be made. I wonder if the DWP actually are trained as to how to deal with claimants if it is bad news? 
  • miilreef
    miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    I asked for the decision over the phone as it had been made. I was awarded 4 for care and 0 for mobility. 
    The person I was speaking to was very helpful and went through the decision with me. She indicated that she herself didn’t understand some of the report because it didn’t make sense and talked to me about requesting an MR.
    I would call back today and ask for the decision.
    I should add I had to go to Tribunal and went from 4 points to 29 points.
  • Yadnad
    miilreef said:
    The person I was speaking to was very helpful and went through the decision with me. She indicated that she herself didn’t understand some of the report because it didn’t make sense and talked to me about requesting an MR.
    So the DWP accepted that the report didn't make sense and was difficult to understand and presumably suggested that you should do a MR?
    Why didn't she contact the case manager that made the decision then and ask him/her to make sense of it? Do they really know what they are doing?
  • miilreef
    miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    @Yadnad I don’t think the call centre staff really have any insight into what goes on at the F2F assessments. The woman who I talked to said it made no sense that I had a Blue Badge but had been awarded no points for mobility.
    The decision maker at MR agreed with the F2F despite me pointing out the Blue Badge and medical supporting evidence.
    The Tribunal panel agreed it didn’t make sense and overturned the DWP decision.
    The application of a little common sense and a lot of time and taxpayer money could have been saved.
  • Yadnad
    miilreef said:
    @Yadnad I don’t think the call centre staff really have any insight into what goes on at the F2F assessments. The woman who I talked to said it made no sense that I had a Blue Badge but had been awarded no points for mobility.
    The decision maker at MR agreed with the F2F despite me pointing out the Blue Badge and medical supporting evidence.
    The Tribunal panel agreed it didn’t make sense and overturned the DWP decision.
    The application of a little common sense and a lot of time and taxpayer money could have been saved.
    I'll add a bit more - My wife also had a Blue Badge and had been assessed by an OT from Social Services to see what help she needed in the house. She is also in receipt of the highest rate (Care) of Attendance Allowance partly because she has difficulty walking/stumbling around indoors never mind outside.
    Yet her renewal for her Blue Badge was refused!

So having/not having a Blue Badge is not acceptable evidence of difficulties in walking.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.