Obtaining Consultants Reports for PIP (sorry have posted this twice) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Obtaining Consultants Reports for PIP (sorry have posted this twice)

Options
lucy14
lucy14 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Im trying to pull myself together and get my head around the PIP process.

Could anyone advise me on obtaining reports from my consultants, what to ask and how to contact them, I have 4.

I rang the secretary of one regarding another matter and enquired about a report for PIP, she had no idea what I was talking about!
Im finding it a bit hard to cope t the moment so didnt push her.

Could anyone advise me please how to go about it, 

Also the consultants never seem to ask how it affects my everyday life, they only seem concerned in diagnosis and treatment. 
What are your experiences?

Thank you x

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, most people who visit a hospital for a consultation will receive a written report of what happened and what was found reported to the patient by a letter. The main trouble is what the patient does with the information sent, do they read it then bin it a few days, weeks later or fle it away for future use. Getting copies of your medical records, reports ect is getting harder and more difficult due to the latest legislation regarding people personal data. As for the medical profession asking how it impacts on your life is not their priority, perhaps if more patients where to explain at their appointments, consultations this information will be documented and recorded in your report,letters from the hospitals.
  • lucy14
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Wilko.
    Yes thats me in a nutshell, I had a report for my depression and binned it as would have hated my family to have read it, I have not had any others only one for thyroid.
    I completely understand what you are saying as to it not being their priority on how it impacts on my life in future I will tell them.
    Trouble with me is I always play things down as terrified of the operations they want me to have.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Me too i get afraid of thr op's.
    They always want to chop some part out. So i play it all down.
    Dont know how to stop the roundabout im on 
  • kalen
    kalen Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    Hi Lucy,
    Just from personal experience with DLA, and a DLA Tribunal. Provided you have a condition diagnosed by the one best place to do so is enough to start with. You should be able to obtain consultant reports via your GP surgery. No one, not even a consultant can explain you difficulties like you can yourself and I know from my tribunal, that it was my on detailed explanations that were considered as best evidence even though initially it wasnt by DWP.

I think that it is more or less accepted that the consultants tend to concentrate on the diagnosis and treatment rather than the effects, sure its you who explains the effects to them Good Luck x
  • lucy14
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    Me too i get afraid of thr op's.
    They always want to chop some part out. So i play it all down.
    Dont know how to stop the roundabout im on 
    Aww Misscleo...stay strong....
    I feel for you and understand, Its terrifying. My thoughts are whos going to look after me as I live on my own, but to be honest have a great support network, the worse thought is I will lose my  business, and as im self employed, no work no money!!.... so I keep going and keep taking the tablets and saying im ok...until I have no choice. x

kalen said:
    Hi Lucy,
    Just from personal experience with DLA, and a DLA Tribunal. Provided you have a condition diagnosed by the one best place to do so is enough to start with. You should be able to obtain consultant reports via your GP surgery. No one, not even a consultant can explain you difficulties like you can yourself and I know from my tribunal, that it was my on detailed explanations that were considered as best evidence even though initially it wasnt by DWP.

I think that it is more or less accepted that the consultants tend to concentrate on the diagnosis and treatment rather than the effects, sure its you who explains the effects to them Good Luck x
    Thank you Kalen
    Great help put my mind at rest a little, I have a GP's appointment a week on monday so can ask her then.

As of today my chiropodist has agreed to do a statement for me and of course friends and family so its a start.

I Will have to make sure I give a good explanation then, trouble is, and im sure most people will agree, I forget what difficulties I have, as we all try to be independent and adjust to our situations, and things that are not so normal become normal to us. i.e struggling to dress  but getting there in the end, so I dont think I need help because this is normal to me. if that makes sense  :D:D  
    xx, 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.