No PIP care component, epilepsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No PIP care component, epilepsy

Options
Ralph
Ralph Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Hi, Just recieved pip assesent, no care, high mobilty award. 2-3 gran mal seizures per week, no warning. I thought the weighting of the 50% rule was being reduced in favor of safety. There was no mention of safety but the 50% rule was quoted. I’m not going to appeal, too afraid of losing the mobilty component and can’t wait a year for a risky tribunal. I was moving from DLA so have lost half the money i was previously getting. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Ralph! So sorry to hear this, it's such a tricky decision to make and I'm sorry that you've been put in this position.

In case it's of any help, here is a list of extra money and support PIP entitles you to.
  • Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks, I can be thankful I got what I got. It seems the system is set up to deny help rather than help people who need help. I hope for everyone’s sake it’s changed soon. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ralph said:
    It seems the system is set up to deny help rather than help people who need help.
    Eerr of course it is. That and the purposely intended pressure to be applied to claimants that on a regular basis generally every 2/3 years you are required to re-prove your entitlement.

It is common knowledge that the idea behind PIP was the intention to reduce the then DLA budget by 20% - there was only way that could happen - make it more difficult for people to be awarded PIP - hence why they reduced the walking limit down to 20 metres from the previous DLA limit of 50 metres if you wanted the highest mobility award.

The government thought of every way that they could either to stop people claiming or put enough obstacles in their way so that they would give up.

It has worked in that people are giving up, people are not claiming it but would have claimed DLA.

Unfortunately the government has now found that the overall cost of PIP hasn't gone down as planned for - it has gone beyond the DLA budget. They have tried to tweek the descriptors to make it more difficult so all they are left with is how to stop Tribunals over ruling their decisions. The answer - do everything on line with no more physical face to face hearings other than by way of a TV screen.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.