Pension credit issue- they don't believe we're just friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension credit issue- they don't believe we're just friends

mags0711195
mags0711195 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just had an interview with pension credit at home.i live with a joint tenant (no relationship just friends)both of us get PiP,but the person doing the iterview more or less didnt believe we were just friends ,an said he thought i wouldnt qualify for PC dont understand this ,as its stated in regs ,you would be treated as living alone in this situation any info would be good 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Give AgeUK a call on 0800 055 6112, they will put you right on all things to do with PC.

I have not heard of PC making home visits
  • mags0711195
    Thanks atlas 46 reason for home visit is because when i rang them to make a claim ,told them i had a joint tenant,when they came to to the house ,they questioned myself and my friend,i had distinct feeling ,i was hiding something,an we were more than friends ,i found the whole experience extreamily upsetting ,.not a very nice experience.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @mags0711195!

So sorry to hear about your experience and how unsettling you found it. Atlas46's suggestion of calling AgeUK is a good one, so I'd definitely encourage that. Alternatively, you can reach Scope's helpline at 0808 800 3333 (free). Do let us know how you get on!
  • mags0711195
    Thank you pippa 
  • atlas46
    Hi @mags0711195

As suggested give ageuk a ring, they get central funding to help PC claimants.

With reference PC making a case you are some how a cohabiting couple, they have no case.

You can claim PC, whilst having other tenants in the household.

By way of example my brother and sister in laws, had her brother living with them, he has learning disabilities.  I assisted them to claim PC, and all income was disregarded for various reasons.

It can get complex and staff at PC, have not a glue about the rules of the scheme.

Let us know how you get on.

Do either of you claim Cares Allowance?

This gives increased PC.

• mags0711195
    No carers ,but both claim daily living PiP.
  • atlas46
    You need to get face to face advice from ageuk about your circumstances.
  • mags0711195
    I will do next week asap ,thanks for your advice ,very much appreciated
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @mags0711195

As suggested give ageuk a ring, they get central funding to help PC claimants.

Yes they do. It is extremely embarrassing for the government that £billions remain unclaimed every year. The government used to publicise PC on the television and newspapers but gave up as potential claimants didn't want to know.
    Now they are funding AgeUK to do the work for them. Shame that they aren't doing much better to get people to claim the money that they are entitled to.

What does annoy me is that this funding only relates to advice and help for PC and no other benefits such as Attendance Allowance.- funding for other benefits generally comes via the local/county council. Our council pulled the plug on that funding as the money was required elsewhere.
    That was the situation when I went down there when they had reopened and wanted help and advice on my old PIP claim and a possible AA one.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.