Backdated DLA for ADHD? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated DLA for ADHD?

asil74
asil74 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. Can anyone help

my son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and is on medication . His key worker at the place he goes for school has said I can claim dla! My son is nearly 16 and I have been fighting for my son since a very young age he’s missed out on school etc for many years. Do you kkkw if I will get dla back dated for all the years he has suffered and been miss judged and not to say the family have suffered 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @asil74 welcome to the community!

As your son is nearly 16 it is best to apply for PIP as DLA is only for children under 16.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Benefits are usually backdated to the date you applied for them.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You won't be backdated any money for all those you that you didn't apply, unfortunately. It will also be PIP now as he's almost 16. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is also not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily and evidence will be needed to support a claim for your son.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    No they don't back date only pay from when you claim and you could have claimed it without a diagnosis if he fitted the criteria and now as he's almost 16 can claim pip on his own unless he is unable then you need to apply first to be his appointee someone from the Dwp will come out and assess you both and ask him if he's happy for you to make the claim on his behalf

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.