Can I claim income related ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim income related ESA?

Options
ClairB
ClairB Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Today I have received a form from Dwp to say I get contribution based Esa but I might be able to get Income related? They say I've got to fill form in with all relevant details  requested from Dec 2012 onwards? Why have they asked for this & has anyone else heard of this? 
If anyone could let that would be great!
Thanks 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ClairB welcome to the community!

I am unsure how to advise and I don't want to give you the wrong answers. However, other members of the community may know how to help you and will be in contact with you soon.

If there is anything else at all that we can help you with then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • ClairB
    Options
    Thank you for replying Ami2301 ☺
  • edenderry5504
    edenderry5504 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have received a booklet from esa to fill in. It says I'm receiving contribution-based ESA & I might be able to income-related ESA  backdated to 2013. I've sent it away & am worried about the outcome. It's 10/10/2018 today.  Regards,  Sam 
  • ClairB
    Options
    edenderry5504 I too have received the same form & wondering what it's all about. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

When people transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA they were automatically placed onto Contributions based ESA without being assessed for any income related top ups. DWP realised this mistake and are now contacting those that maybe affected.

To be eligible for the income related top up will depend on your circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works? If so how many hours do they work each week. Do you have any other household income, savings or capital?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.