UC is making me feel depressed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC is making me feel depressed

Options
mummy007
mummy007 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all thank you for letting me join 

Comments

• mummy007
    Options
    I am feeling so down I am on uc have suffered with depression for many years my work coach seen me yesterday and as told me to go back again in ten days time . My sick not is for 2 months at a time and gave it in today runs out on 30th November can he keep on making me go to see him and put pressure on me to work as I received a message from uvula a day after putting my sick note on my jounal telling me thank you they have received sick note but I would only need to go and to show them it at the job centre . He makes me feel like a child yet I am 60 years old tried for many jobs over the last 9 months and just makes me even more depressed as I never get a reply from companies even three that I had interviews with. Please can you give me some advice as weather I should be made to keep on going in to see him I am starting to feel zooasideal again 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mummy007 welcome to the community!

If you are having thoughts of self harm or suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/helping-yourself-now

In regards to your UC assessor, I am unsure how to advise however other members of the community will be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon.

If there is anything else that we can help you with then please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mummy007
    Im so sorry you are having such a tough time, as @Ami2301 says,  you can speak to the Samaritans if you are struggling.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

You can also speak to someone on the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 to talk through your issues around the sick notes and employment.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way! Unfortunately with UC and fit/sick notes it doesn't mean you're excused from those appointments and looking for work. It's down to the discretion of your job coach as to hour many hours you need to do per week. Have you explained the problems you're having attending those appointments to your Job coach? Some are understanding and will reduce the hours but others are so understanding sadly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • medwaymum
    medwaymum Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    I had several sick notes and in the end due to depression they signed me off permanently, this meant I changed from jobseekers to ESA  which it sounds as if youmay need to do ,look into it .all the best.
  • mummy007
    Options
    How do I go about this please it is really getting to me I am 60 and every time I apply for jobs I don’t get them I applied for another three last week but didn’t get them just so unhappy I suffer with a few medical problems but the way they see it if you can walk coke do things for yourself them you are fit for work I was on esa a couple of years ago then moved to Taunton then was sent for an assessment and that is what they said 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately because you claim UC you can't go back and claim ESA, you're stuck on UC now. Have you been sent a UC50 form?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mummy007
    Options
    No what is this form for as I have never heard of it 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm my sons appointee well I'm the appointee for 3 young adults I spoke to his work coach about having to go every two weeks with him putting pressure on my son helps nothing he could get him to agree to anything as he doesn't listen and I have to step in and say how lovely that would be if he could actually do that I did manage to get him to change it to once a month and am just filling in his UC50 form at the minute it's a form that you list all your medical problems and how they affects you what you can and can't do I'm new to this also so that's as far as I've got so far.
    Speak to your coach and ask if you can come less frequently 
  • mummy007
    Options
    Thank you I will have to look into this 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    The citizens advice has a guide to help you fill it in I've found it really helpful 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to send evidence with that form because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.